how would u decide where your child would attend caycare, would you selected child-care or early childhood programs

is anyone aware of universal preschool, someone ask me of it and I have not ever heard of it before this time.

mahalove

Asked by mahalove at 9:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My granddaughter attends an actual school for babies through kindergarten, so I think this would be early childhood. This is a good school, from what I can tell, because each child progresses at her own pace, according to her own development and not according to age. When the child is able to walk, they move into the group of toddlers, when they know their letters, they move to another group, and so forth.

Answer by Bmat at 9:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I had to decide based on several factors: I work full-time, so what are their hours? If a teacher or day-care provider is sick, will I have to make other arrangements? How do they discipline? Do their values reflect the values I want my son to learn? What opportunities for growth will my son have? How do they treat the parents - do they respect the parents role or do they assume "they" know best and look down on the parents? Do they encourage parents visiting/helping out, or are parents encouraged to get out as fast as possible? Can I communicate well with the teaches/administrators? How far is it from home/work? I chose a daycare center that respected me as a mother, valued my opinion regarding my son, used the same discipline and taught the same values as I raise my son with. They have become a part of our little family, and he's getting a great education out of it, too, because they're also a preschool.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I work with Universal Pre-k in my state. It is free preschool for any child who turns 4 by September 1( other states may have different date requirements.) In our county, we have preschool programs in the public schools and in private or faith based preschools who are collaborating with our public school. The children are 4 years old with some 3 year olds with mild special education needs. Our preschool programs are only half day, so you may need daycare the rest of the day. Preschool and daycare are usually very different in the amount of structure given to the daily routine. In pre-k they have a set schedule and certain objectives they will teach the children to get them ready for Kindergarten. In daycare, typically the routine is not as structured a schedule. They do activities also, but it is more like baby sitting rather than school.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• continued....If you do choose pre-k, choose one that has a curriculum that teaches children through play, music, movement, art, and hands on activities. Stay away from those that do mostly worksheets and require alot of sitting and long periods of teacher directed activities. If you choose daycare, visit it and observes for awhile. See what activities they do with kids, ask questions. You will get a feel for weather you want your child to be there.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 13, 2009