Tooth Decay in Toddler? (homeopathic answers welcomed!)

My 23 month old has 2 teeth that are bad. They are the teeth that are next to her two front teeth, one on each side. The one to the right just has a small cavity which I've been taking care of. Brushing after she eats. It hasn't gotten any worse. The one to the left ... it actually broke off a little and has some brown coloring. I plan to make a dental appt. on monday but I'm the type that doesn't like to wait for answers. Worries me to death! What exactly will the dentist do for her? Will they try to put a filling there? It's one of her front teeth and in the front of the tooth so I don't know how that would work. I am NOT ok with silver fillings (they are made up basically 1/2 mercury). Will they pull it? What are my options? I'm so concerned.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Health

• I am a Dental Assistant and I don't want to overly concern you but, I would not bypass the dentist all together. Baby teeth get fillings all the time (there are "white" mercury -free filings as well as a growing number of Dentists beginning to use products that are all-together more natural). In addidtion while close monitoring and home care are always important, once the decay has begun it can spread quickly without you being aware of what is happening beneath the surface. They even do "baby" root canals or extractions when necessary which can further affect &/or complicate coming adult teeth. Without the baby tooth the "save" the place for the adult tooth the likelihood of needing braces increases. An infection can develope in the  surrounding area which can be painful. I would get the tooth filled, good luck.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Did your baby go to bed with milk or juice, or naps? It causes the teeth to rot and it's very bad for the teeth underneath as well, the adult teeth. I don't think the dentist really does much for baby teeth. I have a friend who has 2 twin girls and she put them to bed with bottles, and they have all rotten teeth! They have to wait until they're adult teeth come in. Baby tooth paste is very important, and def from the beginning, not to preach...just letting you know to brush, brush, brush!! I think the biggest worry would be the adult teeth being damaged, wouldn't worry too much about baby teeth at this point.
    Anonymous

• Thank you for your answer. :) I'm not as panic stricken now! No, never put her to bed w/a bottle or anything like that and 99% of the time, she drinks water out of her sippy now.
    A homeopathic dr. told me that a HUGE cause of tooth decay is low iron levels in children,....and that makes sense to me. I breastfed and didn't eat hardly any meat at all..and I had low iron levels. She wasn't getting what she needed from me. The day I found that out, I got an all natural iron supp for her and her other teeth are perfect, just those two. Do you think I should just skip out on the dentist and keep doin what I'm doin? I brush her teeth after every time she eats and all that.
    Anonymous

• I would honestly be freaking out if that was happening to my baby. I would go to a dentist. You can call and see if there is a dentist that works well with children. All dentists should be able to take care of children. My brother had tooth issues and he ended up having surgery to get fillings under 3. Leaving cavities can create big problems. I really hope you get proper treatment you your baby. Good luck.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 11:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• You can't brush away decay and it can make your child sick and possibly damage the permanent teeth. Get to a pediatric dentist immediately.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My 2 year old was born with holes in his teeth. the holes slowly got larger. $5,000.00 and 4 new teeth... there is nothing worse than have you child put under and thinking that you could have done more.... GO TAKE YOU CHILD TO THE DENTIST.. Please
    MDMeshoto

Answer by MDMeshoto at 9:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2009