do you allow..

your children to curse?

i have at wo yr old. and i dont see it as a big deal, because the way i was raised if you dont learn it at home your going to learn it outside the home, so uhhg, yeah no biggie here! how about you moms?

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't mind my older children using swear words, but, I do make sure they know what the words they are saying mean. For example, the F word. Dad uses it all the time, I don't. I don't like it. I told my kids what it means, they looked at me suprised and said they thought it was awful as well. So..while I do believe in freedom of choice, you should at least let them know what the words mean.
    Anonymous

• No. Not that I could control what they said when I wasn't around, but I did not permit it in my hearing. To help them learn to express themselves without cussing, I did not cuss, and my husband did not in our house.

Answer by Bmat at 10:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I don't encourage it, but I don't make a big deal out of it when I hear my kids use curse words. I know they learned them from me and my husband. I do tell them that those words are inappropriate for their ages (3 and 5), but I would never punish them, or wash their mouths out or anything like that over it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• see thats the hard part with us, we curse alot!!! lol.. in spanish and english, my dad was teaching my son to say puta! it was the funniest thing,
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My daughter prefers not to. She usually is the one saying "Mommy bad! That's a bad word! But are you okay?" She's 5 so I don't encourage it. It took me like 20 some years to get the nerve to curse in front of my mom...always afraid she was going to pull off the chukleta and papow. Same with my granny...wowzers...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No,were not big curse word users and I would not allow it from my child. If he learns it from school and repeats him I will always tell him its a bad word. I'm grown and still don't curse in front of elders. Its called respect and I'm raising a respectful young man. It goes a long way.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 10:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No, I don't allow it. My kids are little, 4 & 2 and it would be totally inappropriate obviously. If we don't teach them that its inappropriate, they will be swearing at school, at their grandparents house, etc. I don't even allow my DH's 17YO son to swear in our house. He can do whatever he wants with his friends, but kids need to know when and where it is appropriate, how will they learn that if we say its ok anytime?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• my dd not alowed to cure when im around i tell her those r mommy words and shes not allowed to say them instead i give her words she can use like when she is mad shes allowed to say stupid now my ss came to r house this weekend swearing up a storm and hes 2 but i think i got the point across today that hes not allowed to say them words here with repacussions.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Nope, not allowed to. We don't curse in the house, period. I told my dd that she's smart enough to come up with better words. My kids arn't allowed to call anyone stupid either. My dd is 7 and uses "son of a biscuit" or "what the?" I still don't get why people think it's ok to let their kids swear.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i think for me its because of the was i raised, i was raised thats its ok to curse i'm hispanic salvadorean and hondurean, so i guess to me its not a big deal and i do allow it,now when he gets in school he'll learn that those are words you dont use then but as far as putting a restirction on them no.. never..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2009