Okay people...how do I handle THIS?

I have two potential clients who seem as though they want to hire me for work very soon. I NEEEEEDDD this work! One issue...I keep finding guys somehow who have very thick Indian accents. Both of my most promising potential clients so far have them. Both of them! What are the odds really? Anywho, one of them I can understand relatively well assuming I'm ina quiet enough room. (hardy har on that one...I work from home and Have a toddler. I have to put her in her room and close the door for a few...or hope she'll watch Dora for ten minutes). The other guy...I haven't talked to him yet, but we've been playing phone tag so I have a voice mail from him. I CAN'T UNDERSTAND A WORD HE SAYS! I am so nervous to get him on a live call because I don't want to be like "Huh? What? Say that again?" after eveything... but from what I can understand, he is very interested. What can I do? I have to get all the details or I do the work wrong...

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• what kind of job do you do this will help us to understand
    Anonymous

• Oh! No prob. I am a copywriter. I write for marketing material and web content and all that. I send my information to online retailers since that is what I specialize in, and several people write back. He is interested to learn more, and I barely made out "We interested in your kind of work..." and the rest I can't understand at all. But it's sometimes very specific work, and they often give instructions and ask questions over the phone when they are first getting to know you and all that. So his accent may create a huge problem or cause me to lose the position if I pretend to understand OR if it's too apparent that I have no clue what he's even talking about! I have to call him back Monday if he doesn't get me on the phone tomorrow.... Eh!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I know when you have messages it's very hard to hear and understand if he calls tomorrow rec the talk and play it back if you have to or have him email you so you can read it and understand it then go from there. i hope i solve your problem a lil sweetie i'm sorry i am not much of a help,
    Anonymous

• i would be honest about it being difficult to understand them and see if the will be comfortable communicating theough emails, at least when you get to the details.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 10:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Hear the message over and over and over again until you start to become familiar with his accent and wording. It's almost like learning how to decode his accent and in the future. Good luck.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I would just explain that you are having difficulties understanding and you would like them to email you the specific details to make sure that everyone is on the same page.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 11:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• DH is from India so I know what you mean. Just nicely tell him you have trouble with his accent. When you guys decide on details tell him to please put eveything in writing before you start. That way there are no mistakes.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2009