Were you scared to become a mother?

I got pregnant with my daughter when I was 28 years old and had been married for over 5 years. But when that pregnancy test was positive I freaked out and felt like I was 16 years old. Then I got used to the idea. Until they were taking me in for a c-section to have a baby that was 8 weeks early and was going to weigh less than 3 pounds. I kept telling the doctor that I had changed my mind I was not ready to be someone's mother. I told him that I could barely take care of myself how was I supposed to take care of another human being. Of course 5 years later I am fine, and more importantly she is fine. I am by no means the perfect mother, but she is alive and happy so hey I think I have done ok. Was anyone else scared out of their minds or were you completly ready to be a mom?

TeriMelisa

Asked by TeriMelisa at 10:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Very. I remember when I had my first..(I was 18) and my mom was in there with me...and she was like "Here comes your baby!!" I said "Who?" I was so out of it...it was weird. Then afterwards they brought him to me, and it took several days for me to figure out he was mine and here to stay! Kinda surreal moment type of thing.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i wasn't scared one bit. It was the happiest moment for me when I got a positive test. I had had 2 miscarriages before my first daughter, and we had been trying. It could have just been hormones. I have heard other women tell me that they were scared at first, but I think the first time you hold you baby all fears go away and it just feels right.
    atjm0919

Answer by atjm0919 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I was scared. Not b/c I didn't think I would be a good mom or that I wouldn't know what to do, but that I would not be able to financially support a child. But my family has been very supportive even though his father has not been in the picture, so my son hasn't needed or wanted for anything && I am very grateful to my family for all the help they have given me.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• When I found out I was pregnant, I was terrified. I wasnt planning on having a child for a very long time, and BOOM, there I was, with child. I was scared for so many reasons, would I be a good mom?, would I have the money to support her?, would the babys father be a good dad? A whole bunch of stuff ran through my mind. But now that my daughter is here, I'm not as scared anymore. Just taking it one step at a time, and give her as much love as I can. Thankfully the babys father is an awesome dad and taking care of us. So it seems like I was silly for being so scared hehe.
    lynmarie813

Answer by lynmarie813 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 11:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i wasnt scared..but i also dont think it really clicked til i went into labour, lke holy shit im having a baby!! but i was ready! and so excited!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:23 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Most people are scared of the unknown . Nothing wrong with that either. I was scared to become a Mom the first time but by the 2nd, I was ok.I was scared I wouldn't know what to do.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:22 AM on Jun. 13, 2009