what do contractions feel like??

I know, silly question.. I've had a lot of different answers. I was having some pains today. I'm 33 weeks along. Not sure if I was having contractions?

KLE073009

Asked by KLE073009 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you are having contractions then you will know it! trust me there will be no question about it! you were peobably having braxron hicks contractions.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I had the same questions when I was pregnant because I was having so many different aches and pains... it can be very confusing, I know. Most people say you will know when it's a contraction but I really don't agree with that because I wasn't sure...lol I would describe them as really bad period cramps...or a real bad backache that comes and gos. I didn't have any contractions in my stomach at all until I had already had my baby and started breastfeeding..lol All I had were back contractions. I'll tell you though, I'd much rather have them in my stomach than back! Hope I helped a little at least.
    shiasmommy41209

Answer by shiasmommy41209 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i had them in my stomach and let me tell you........it hurts its like period cramps multiplied by 110! mine hurt so bad. its worth it but damn does it hurt. my husbands in the military and wasnt here for my daughters birth so i had my mom i sqeezed her hand so hard it was purple. like i felt like my stomach was being twisted and turned it ways i never thought possible!

Anonymous

• go to the dr to be sure, let them check to see if you dilated. Every one is different and you will not def know if its contractions. With my son I had a scheduled c-section and when I got there they said I was having contractions... I had no clue, I thought he was just trying to squirm
    edenmoseley

Answer by edenmoseley at 1:51 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• it feels like someone put there arm up your crotch and trying to tear out your insides, nobody can prepare you for that pain nobody, but it's all worth it al the end once you see that baby you forget about all the, but then you got another issue on your hands how to loose all the weight you put on unless your are one of them girls that only gain two pounds and after you had your baby your just as thin as you were before you got pregnant then your one lucky woman lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:54 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It sounds like Braxton's to me. They can be very painful at times. It's time to worry when the pain is consistent and close together between 5-7minutes. Some can range from a mild or irritating cramp to full blown double you over and make you cry for momma. Just imagine the worst cramps you've ever had and double it at it's worst. If you're really worried just call the hospital they may or may not to come in to be checked and monitored.
    AmericanChild82

Answer by AmericanChild82 at 6:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• You will know when they are contractions. Mine started out like period pain but heavily in my back and then moved quite quickly into strong pains that shot through by back mainly where I couldnt sit down and hand to move. There was a lot of pressure in my backside too... like I constantly had to go to the toilet. Thats were I spent most of my initial stage of labour and just thought it was the food from the night before. When you are in labour it just feels like pressure. Go with your body it will show you what to do
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 6:37 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

•  If you have concerns, contact your doctor.

For me labort began  with a bloody show, that is mucus with blood, or the mucus plug. This is from your cervix beginning to dialate.

Then came  mild cramps that geo worse. The cramps  that birth out a baby has pressure and lower back pain that builds.

For me, the pain shot down my inside thighs while my tummy became hard and the inside of my abdomen felt like it was going to split in two. (I had potosin, so the cramps were fast and I was told were stronger than if I had natural labor.

Real labor, you will know!

If you keep having bothersome cramps that do not stop with drinking water and laying down on you left side or you are just concerned, SEE YOU DOCTOR.

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 7:30 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It has been a long time, but to my best recollection describing contractions is very challenging. It is the most intense on/off pain and the best way I could describe it would be that it felt like your pelvic region slowly was being pulled apart by a crank in your lower back. Then of course there are the other sources of pain going on too, but ya know, my mom told me that thinking about the pain before giving birth did not change the fact that you were giving birth. So----> try to relax, accept that it will hurt, and remember that what almost every mom thinks immediately after giving birth is never the pain, but the joy of seeing your baby.
    Congrats!
    OrganizedOne

Answer by OrganizedOne at 7:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• when you get these pains, if you get up and walk around and they intensify, its likely real labor, if they fade, its more likely to be braxton hicks.
    my closest estimate of what they feel like it similar to period pain, but often it can be felt as backache. when the labor progresses, your whole tummy gets very hard- as if you are tightening up your whole stomach area (which you ARE)
    remember though, your body was designed to give birth, just as it was designed to carry a baby to term. birth is a beautiful thing, not something to fear.
    i had a drug free birth with my son, and though it was painful, as the old adage goes, you really do forget the pain. natural birth gives such an enormous high, i felt like i was walking on air for weeks afterward (it wasnt like that when i had my first-medicated-birth)
    childbirth is such a wonderful beautiful accomplishment, it cannot be replicated by any other experience, it is truly unique
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 7:54 AM on Jun. 13, 2009