Would it be stupid to...

take something(like the mothers milk tea or fenugreek etc) to increase my milk supply so I'm able to pump more?
I don't really have a problem right now, but I want to be able to pump more so I can leave her at grandmas house without worries...
Is this a bad idea? Would I just be super engorged and leaky all day lol?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You may get engorged and leaky if you don't plan to use the milk on a regular basis... as in pump daily to use the extra milk.
    But I found that having milk on hand is GREAT! I had for a few months a huge supply and was able to store a bunch up... found out later that AF kills my supply each time she comes back and I was thankful to have all the milk saved up to give him during that week each month.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• are you already making enough milk for your child? if so, then yes, it may not be a good idea to take Fenugreek, it will make you super engorged then you already get and you'll be leaky all day.

pumping between feedings will increase your milk supply as well, btw. GL
    Anonymous

• I was told by the lac. consultant that Fenugreek and Holy thistle etc only work well if you start them during the first 4 weeks. You don't want to get engorged believe me. Also you dont want oversupply, that can cause problems for baby. Sucking air, gulping, choking. But it's up to you, i know many women who pump without those herbs and over time supply enough extra for freezing/storage.
    Liv32

Answer by Liv32 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't do that unless you really need to. If you want to store a good surplus of milk, try pumping after your baby feeds (at the same time each day, and you'll have to keep doing it because your body will start planning for it) or, once your baby is going to bed before you (and sleeping for 4-5 hours), pump after she goes to bed/before you go to bed. This extra pumping session was always just built into my schedule. I wouldn't try to go for oversupply -- just add a feeding (only a pumped one) to your day and you'll be able to store what you need for a rainy day.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:28 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• No, it is not stupid. I worked full time and was completely committed to breastfeeding for the recommended two year minimum. I took brewers yeast tabs and pumped 3 times a day at work (sometimes with co-workers mooing outside the door).

Answer by rkoloms at 3:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2009