What does it mean when a woman says "breastfeeding just isn't for me?"

In questions and answers about breastfeeding and formula feeding, I see this answer a lot. What does it mean? WHY isn't for you? Truthfully, I'm just curious why it isn't for some people. Especially if your body makes enough milk.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It wasn't for me because I didn't want to be tied down to my baby. I wanted to be able to go back to work and leave him for me time.
    Anonymous

• It means that she is selfish.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 10:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• it wasn't for me becuase I got EXTREMELY turned on having her suc on my nipple... i felt just wrong about the ENTIRE thing. She only got it once and that was enough for me to say GROSS. I just didn't think it was a natural feeling to be that turned on and horny while breastfeeding. Another q.. would it have been wrong to have sex while breastfeeding? cuz that would probably be the only way I could have handled it!
    Anonymous

• I am not selfish. It is not for me because I feel as a mom I cannot give my children all attention they should have at times if I have to take a time out to feed the baby every 2 hours, By using formula my oldest and my husband can also feed the baby so I can also keep up with the rest of the family. Yes, if it was the only option out there I would have to make it work but it isn't and I see nothing wrong with using formula.
    Anonymous

• it wasnt for me cuz it is disgusgting and babaric. if we have something better and easier y would i want to do wat they did back in the dark ages? that is like taking a shit in the bedpan instead of a toliet
    Anonymous

• It wasnt for me for multiple reasons..i tried pumping for awhile..because we had multiple latch problems..and after that i slowly started to dry up..but pumping is sooooo time consuming and i couldnt keep up with my lil fat man...i tried..but it was rough and after about 5 weeks of it..i was done..it was formula time..
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I kind of thought maybe it was about wanting something easier, but I have to say that breastfeeding is a lazy person's best friend.

I loved breastfeeding. I had no nasty bottles to wash. Never had to get up in the middle of the night to make a bottle or get my daughter, she slept right next to me. It was really a blast for me.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 10:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• my hubby was deploying and knowing it could be the last time we were together and he would see her... i wanted him to have a part in EVERYTHING. Just didn't feel like he could have gotten it if I would have breastfed.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Thank you for all these honest answers. It helps me better understand!
    Anonymous

• Anon 9:45, how did you get it into your head that formula is better than breastmilk? Not that there is anything wrong with formula feeding, especially for those who just couldn't. But just about every expert will tell you that breastmilk is better. It has antibodies for the baby, it is tailored for your baby's exact age, it is the perfect food for an infant. Formula is merely a close second.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 10:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2009