Is getting a massage therapy certification a college degree? What do you consider a college degree?

So I have a Bachelors degree. I know several people who have gone to massage school, say they have college degrees. Somehow it irks me to no end. I slaved away for over four years and worked countless hours to get my BA. I don't know how getting a degree in 1000hrs compares.

Am I the only one? I am not knocking these people for their choice, I just do not feel they should be able to claim a college degree with so little work...KWIM?
I should say that I do consider an associates degree a college degree.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No. If you didn't get an actual degree at a college or university, you don't have a college degree. You may have a certification from a trade school or technical school or something but that is not a college degree.

I agree with you. I am working on my associates now and I have worked hard. I don't know if I will get my bachelor's or not, I am an art major for photography. And I plan on doing an apprenticeship after I earn my associates. So I won't need to go on for my bachelor's.

But we put a lot of time and effort and money into a college degree. And we have a right to have a certain amount of pride in that. That pride is diminished when just anyone who has some sort of certification goes around claiming to have a college degree even when they don't have anything more than a certification.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 11:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I don't consider it a degree. It says right in the title that it's a certificate.
    I consider an Associates the lowest level degree.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No. A certificate is a certificate. A degree is a degree. They are not the same.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No. Massage school is training and certification. My friend just got a degree in psychology and is now going to be trained and certified as a massage therapist. Two totally different things. I will be spending at least the next five years of my life doing a double major with a minor to get my college degree. Her training lasts one year.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 11:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• A certificate is a certificate, a degree is a degree.
    Anonymous