• In the Spotlight:

would you do the surgery if..

i'm 24 weeks pregnant. for the past few weeks i've been having the most obnoxious pain under my right breast. i had an OB appointment today and brought it up. he felt the spot where i said the pain was and decided i should have an ultrasound on my gallbladder for possible gallstone's. i go back in 2 weeks to see if this is the case. doctor says if so, i'll need surgery to take the gallbladder out. i can't have this done until after i give birth.. in 3 more months. this could be too long, and the gallstone's could pass into the bile duct, thus causing pancreatic cancer. pancreatic cancer would be fatal to myself and the baby. i'm no expert or anything, so i did do extensive research when i got home. there is a non-invassive procedure that passes the stones, but they will return and the gallbladder will definitely need to be taken out after birth. in this case, would you opt for the non-invassive procedure? please no bashing.

amberwriteslove

Asked by amberwriteslove at 10:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Did you talk to your doctor about the procedure? I definitely would to see if it is safe. If it is then I would do it. My mother had gall stones and just by witnessing it I saw how painful it was. I couldn't imagine be preganant on top of that. I would relly find out b/c not doing anything could be just as dangerous. Good Luck :)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I'd take it one step at a time. Go ahead and have the ultrasound and then take it from there. Ask your dr. about the invasive procedure. I had the same pain when I was pg and the dr. said it could be my gallbladder but said it was also common. It went away after I had my dd and didn't come back with my second. Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I had this happen when I was pregnant, and just after I had my baby, my husband lost his job. I went 2 years with gall bladder problems before I had it removed. I don't think it is anything you should stress out about. They did nothing for it during my pregnancy, and 2 years later the I had the laser type( the easier surgery) done, my surgeon was impressed with how easy it went! Recovery was pretty easy too!
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• thanks for the answers ladies. i'll just tough it out until the ultrasound and then discuss my options with the doctor. this can't eat/can't sleep thing is killing me though =/
    amberwriteslove

Answer by amberwriteslove at 5:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2009