Tell me what one year old's are like please!

My baby is turning one in a week (tear), and I want to know what to expect from age one to two. I don't want any surprises!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Walking, talking, testing limits, lots of use of the word no (from you and him/her), lots of curiosity, lots of exploring, learning lots of new things, if your child's already starting to talk there could be lots of questions, lots of falls and bumps. Time to watch what you do and say in front of the little one. At 18 months my ds was repeating everything we said. It's a fun age. I love my ds' independence but at the same time I miss him at that age. Enjoy it while it lasts.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Right away its not going to be any different except the fact that they are now on whole milk or whatever. You will have temper tantrums get worse. Talking. Walking. Trying to help. Dont worry about it. Its so much fun.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 11:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• vocabulary should go up a few words, if not walking aready, then walking, 1 yr old shots, lots of falling, (especially if it's a boy). whatever you do, DON'T teach him the words "park, or outside". those words are so annoying here lately! lol. "side?" i dread that word now lmao. i'm just kidding. nothing really new, just maybe switching him over to the toddler bed, if you decide to, more falls, running after them, watch what they put toward their mouth while they're outside.
    Anonymous

• why don't you purchase a book about babies so you can get educated answers? i'm pregnant and my mom bought me a wonderful book called "baby & child your questions answered". i think you can google what to expect from a one year old too.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• oh yeah and on whole milk now...forgot about that lol
    Anonymous

• Be aware that the "terrible two's" do not start after the child turns 2. They start in the second year of life - which your little one is entering now.
    So:
    She will discover her own mind and will. And she will let you know when she does not agree with you.
    She will learn to talk - slowly adding words so she has 10 to 20 words at 18 m months and 100 or more at 24 months. Around this time next year, she will start to string two words together - more cookies being a favorite phrase. Remember that her pronciation will be awful for another year beyond that but if you know what she means when she says "DEE!" then it counts as a word even if she means "balloon!"
    She will learn to run, jump, and climb.
    She will learn to scribble with a crayon, possibly learning to draw a sort-of straight line.
    She will leave baby food behind and move to all table food.

You will cry and laugh a lot.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Your child will be growing and maturing quickly!! Walking, talking, running, getting into everything!! Lots of messes, especially when trying to feed herself. She will be trying new foods..liking some and not liking others. She will be clumsy and fall a lot because she wants to move faster than she can. She may get stubborn and want to do things by herself. Just have fun and enjoy the world through the amazement of a 1 year old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:09 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• OP
    Thank you for all of the answers!!!!!!!
    Anonymous