Black people don't tip

I am 33 years old, and just recently I've been told that "black people don't tip (as well as white people)". That explains all the terrible service I've received at various restaurants over the years! I DO tip by the way, always have, even when I've received crappy ass service. The waitresses that serve me my food then "disappear" until it's time for me to pay the bill. The times I've started with one waiter/waitress, then suddenly I have a NEW waiter/waitress (because the one I originally has went "on break"). The code words for black tables (Canadians, black out, "white people").

It makes me REALLY upset that just because of my skin color, I am stereotyped. Did it ever occur to these waiters/waitresses that the reason "black people don't tip" is because they don't provide good service? It's a catch 22. You tell yourself that blacks don't tip well, so you don't wait on them well. In response, they don't (COND)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I get bad service, I think its because my expectations are too high. I am over 40 and really sometimes feel like I am out of touch with 20 somethings.... I would never be on my cell or texting if I was waiting tables, but I have had wait staff do just that! YIKES!

I have noticed that since the recession, service has been better- maybe less crowded, tips are more important or they just have more applicants to choose from!

Point is, bad service is a reflection on the server, not on you!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• (CON'D) give the waiter staff a good tip. Then the wait staff tell themselves "See what I told you? They didn't give me a tip. Black people don't tip well!"

It's amazing that in 2009, this type of crap still exists.

Any thoughts? Please be respectful. I'm not asking for race-bashing.

Thanks.
    Anonymous

• That is bullshit. Everyone gets crap service. Want to know why? Probably because we're in a recession and people aren't eating out as much. When they do all of the races aren't tipping as well because they can't afford to. The wait staff makes like $2 an hour plus tips. They're barely breaking minimum wage and aren't motivated to do well at a job they are underpaid at. It has nothing to do with race. I'm hispanic and waited tables for 6 years through college. No one ever once said that or thought that where I worked. It makes me upset that you would hear one person say something stupid and come on here making it a race thing that you get bad service. Everyone gets crap service. Its life. Live with it.
    Anonymous

• Anon, you can google this stuff, seriously. not sure why you're getting so upset.
    Anonymous

• goodgood anon:16

rubipresiosa1

Answer by rubipresiosa1 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Well, white people can't dance or play sports.

Not trying to start anything, just pointing out that there are stereotypes for all races. I bet we could come up with one for just about any group of people. Jews, Japanese, Native Americans, Germans, French, Christians, Gays, women, men, elderly, etc.?

I know it hurts. But we each have to overcome our own stereotypes and prejudices because we can only control what we think and what we do.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 11:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• That is interesting...
    But I have to say that with my experience as a hostess, working closely with servers; they know not to assume. I've had this discussion with servers before. Just when they think, "Oh crap- it's old people. Old people don't tip worth a damn", they are surprised by a very generous group of elderly folks.
    This may be a stereotype that gets tossed around in restaurants, but I think any server worth his/her salt knows not to assume. ANYONE could be that miraculously huge tipper that occasionally happens :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I've actually heard that. I'm white myself, but have heard from people who wait that blacks don't tip as well. I agree that would be a catch 22. It would suck to be in your position. If someone made a judgement about me, I think I'd just do what I could to prove them wrong and when you do get good service, tip well (just like most people would). I know I go back to places that have good service, so you should go to places where you do too. I don't know how many people actually think this, but you can't worry about what other people think. You're going to be judged for a million reasons all the time. Just be who you are and prove them wrong in doing that.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 11:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I think everyone is too sensitive these days, I wonder who told you that's the reason. I've only had bad service twice, and that's because the resteraunt couldn't handle how busy they got. Maybe you get bad service when you have a bad attitude. I was a cashier, and I could tell right away if someone was going to be difficult to me. Try being a better customer (tips don't matter, they come after the meal anyway), and having a positive attitude, and maybe you won't get such bad service.
    Anonymous

• OP here

Mrs pulley- I totally agree with you. When I order take-out, I generally tip the delivery person VERY well, just to dispell the "black people don't tip" stereotype. But it still hurts, you know? I haven't been to a restaurant in MONTHS, ever since I was clued in to this stereotype.
    Anonymous