My 7 month old is becoming clingy. Any suggestions?

Amberoz

Asked by Amberoz at 11:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's just a phase. Your baby is going through separation anxiety. It will pass within the next month or two... but until then, keep reassuring your little one that you are there, and have lots of patience. Been there myself.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Its a phase and it only gets worse. My little boy just turned one and he's worse than ever.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My son is 6 1/2 months old and he is starting to go through it too. Not all the time but once in a while when I walk away he will just start screaming, and he has never been much of a crier. And I dont really know what to do. I have heard to go ahead and cuddle them so that they dont have trust issues, but then I have also heard the opposite so that they dont become clingy. I just don't know what is best. Its hard for me not to go tohim when he crys because its not a usual thing for him.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• It's biology. Babies know intrinsically that they need you for survival. They're not designed to be separated from their mothers. Just be there for him as often as you possibly can.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:36 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Its seperation anxiety and common at this age. Get a book called "the Wonder Weeks" and it will tell you how to cope AND assist your baby to cope. Just comfort and love him and explain what is happening. It will pass
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 1:14 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• They go through spurts of this throughout their early stages, this should happen again around 1 1/2.
    And again at 3ish I think..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• When babies do this, they need their mommies more than ever. Also, your baby might want more action, like playtime and such too. I would start to do some fun simple things like blocks (the big, soft chunky ones for this age) and maybe a little baby "floor gym" or something too, with some music and bright colors. Just interact and play with the little one. Hold him/her when he/she feels like that too. Knowing you are always there for him/her will make him/her the most independent and strong child in the future. That is how my son is. I co-sleep, held him all the time as a baby, etc and now he comes to me for cuddles and love and all that, but he's very independent and a content boy. :)
    workathome01

Answer by workathome01 at 3:20 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It's a phase with separation anxiety. Make sure you reassure him that you are there, get down on the ground and play with him. Do lots of peek a boo games and hiding right around the corner. Don't do it if he's fussy, but make it a game when he's in a good mood. He'll learn that you are there even though he can't see you.
    jothra

Answer by jothra at 3:51 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Just hold and love your baby. One day you will look back fondly on this time....

Answer by rkoloms at 3:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2009