Have you ever had a friend die from drugs?

How do you think you're going to teach your kids to not do them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• i don't care if my child does them as long as they aren't in my house doing it.
    Anonymous

• Yup. His name was Noah. He was a really beautiful person, but he made bad choices. (obviously). That was such a strange thing.
    I'll tell my kids about him, and I'll tell them what I know and stories I've heard. Just general discouragment, I guess. Show them people who do drugs who look terrible, stuff like that.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:30 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Yes I have. His name was Alex and although we weren't good friends when he died...we were pretty close for awhile. He had gone to a friend's house to "party" and ended up taking too many pills, drinking, and God only knows what else. He told one of his friends that he wasn't feeling well and his friend told him to go sleep it off in one of the bedrooms. The next morning they came in to wake him up but he was already dead. We actually had several kids from my high school OD on some drug or another. I think like 4 or 5 total. It's sad, but what's even sadder is that so many people knew about their addictions and did nothing to try and help them...some were even enablers.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I knew a girl named Kaitlyn, she had alot of issues with drugs, and mania. She could've really done something in her life because she was really smart (aside from the drugs), she used her smarts to buy and sell prescriptions, and took a whole bottle of xanax and died alone on her bathroom floor. Hours before she was on a search for drugs, I hate to think she killed herself because she couldn't find what she wanted. Honestly, I think all she really wanted is someone to love her, to care about her, and her mother to want her. I would see her mom on occassion and ask her how her daughter was, and she would tell me , " I try and avoid her as much as possible." I wonder what her mother thinks now.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My mother in law. And unfortunately, my daughter got to see her killing herself with prescription pills for most of her young life. When she did finally OD, I was honest with my daughter and reminded her of all the times MeMaw was "sicK" and she understood that MeMaw had a problem that finally took her life.
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 11:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My last husband had a drug problem and my kids saw the ugly side of drug use. I left and got them out asap. They are now in their 30's and as far as I know they have never done drugs. They don't even drink. I tried to focus on their self esteem and keep it high and teach them to have personal confidence so that they didn't have to turn to escape mechanisms like drugs or alcohol. Having a child believe in his/herself has so much power and helps them at decision making time.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:14 AM on Jun. 13, 2009