Which DSLR camera is best

I am thinking of purchasing my first slr I want something good but fairly jeep any suggestions? What so you guys think about the Nikon d40

ILoveMyEian

Asked by ILoveMyEian at 11:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Honestly, I don't own a Nikon and I have never really used one other than to play around with a display model. I, personally, wouldn't get a D40. They are 6MP. A 6 megapixel camera is just so outdated. You can make decent 8x10 prints with it, but if you ever took a picture that you loved and wanted to make a large print, it would be nearly impossible. Plus the D40, and I think the D60 as well, don't have focusing motors. So, in order to have autofucus, the lenses have to have a built-in motor. This means that the less expensive lenses won't autofocus on those cameras.

If I were getting a Nikon, I would be looking at either a D70 or D80 for an entry level camera. The D70 is discontinued so you can get them for a real bargain on craigslist and ebay. But I would actually be looking at an enthusiast/semi-pro level camera like the D100-D700.

(cont)
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I shoot a Sony a700. It is an enthusiast level camera. But Sony has some very nice entry level DSLRs. The a200 is a 10MP camera and it is considered to be the best entry level cameras in its price range. It will be discontinued soon, but there are still new ones available. But you can save some money by buying used.

Again, craigslist and ebay are great places to buy used cameras. And Adorama and B&H both sell new and used equipment. You can even find whole packages on ebay and craigslist for a bargain.

Here is a comparison of all of the available (including discontinued models) entry level DSLRs:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp

You can click under the model name to remove a camera from the list. If you have any questions about what you should be looking for, or what one of the features is, just PM me and I will be happy to help no matter which brand you choose. I'm not a brand snob. ;)
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I have a Canon Rebel XT and love it!
    I really like the site www.cnet.com to get reviews on electronics.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• The best one is the one that feels the best in your hands and has controls that are easily accesible for YOU. It's all in personal taste. For some it's Nikon and for some it's Cannon. I played with a lot of them in the store and Nikon was the one that fit my hands the most comfortably and had menu's and such that were easy for me to get to. Go to a camera store and play with them is the best advice. Just because it's right for someone else doesn't mean that it'll be the right camera for YOU.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2009