How do I stop my breast milk?

I am ready to stop breastfeeding, How do I get my breast to stop producing milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i know you are suppose to wean off but i wrapped and ace bandage around my boos and wore a tight sports bra but it hurts like hell!!!!
    firsttimemommy

Answer by firsttimemommy at 11:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Just stop nursing and you will dry up. You will be engorged for a few days, but it will end. If you don't want to deal with the soreness, wean gradually.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• It hurts a lot to quit cold turkey. My youngest DD quit one day when she was one & I have no clue why she did. She just refused to nurse anymore. It hurt like hell for several days. I was totally engorged & even fabric rubbing against me would start milk flowing. Not fun. If you want to make it easier, start cutting out one feeding a day until you are down to just one & then eliminate that one. It will be a lot easier on your body & a lot easier for baby. This is what I did with DS & it was a very easy transition for both of us.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Just cut out a few feeding each day or start pumping that will decrease your supply also...to help with engorgement, you can put cold cabbage leaves in your bra for a few days....break the veins in the leaves and slip them in....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:12 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• If you just stop you risk serious breast infection from blocked milk ducts. Stop slowly, cutting out one feeding per day for a week and then increase it to two feedings per day. Even so, if you have abundant milk supply, you will find you need to pump for your comfort. Store the milk if you do pump, because it is very good for your baby and will come in handy if you find that formula constipates your little one. The breasts were not designed to stop producing milk quickly, they were made so that if you missed a few feedings for a few days you would still have plenty of milk to feed a hungry baby. That's evolution for you :p

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• DO NOT GO COLD TURKEY! It will make you miserable. No breast bidning. That's an invitation to mastitis.

Drop one feeding pe week till gone. Sage tea and sage pills (check your local health food store) will help with the drying process...but be sure it's what you want to do.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• If you really want to wean the best way for both parties is gradually and not just cold turkey. Cut out one feeding that is not that important (like not the one right before nap or bedtime) for a week and then cut out another for a week. This helps ward off infections and engorgement for mom and withdrawal for baby.

That being said the WHO and AAP recommend AT LEAST 2 years of nursing so just keep that in mind. Also if your LO is under 12 months you will have to supplement with formula which can be expensive. I do think it is wonderful that you nursed your child for however long you did since a lot of women don't even try and that is a shame to me. Why not give your child the best possible start in life?
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• from personal expierience DONT stop cold turkey, i got mastitis and that was more painful than giving birth IMO. i would slowly decrese feedings and go longer in between to slow production. also cold cabbage leaves are supposed to help
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.
    Child-led weaning is best.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009