so here is my question

my son wil nap forever in my arms..... he is 7 months old now and getting him to nap in his crib is not a problem. the problem is that the longest he sleeps is 45 minuts and that is the absolut longest! i know its not enough sleep for him because he is still crabby after he wakes up..... what should i do to make his naps better or longer?? we did cry it out at night and he sleeps about 10 -12 hours at night straight so i know for sure he knows how to put himself back to sleep. anyone else have a problem like this and what would you do?

Mgirly84

Asked by Mgirly84 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nope when you find out lemme know LOL...my DD is 9 months and the longest naps she'll take are in daddys arms for like 2-3 hours...when It;s me at home with her maybe and hour....what does work for me though, is I will put her in our bad (we co-sleep) and she'll sleep longer there....sorry I don't have any suggestions for the crib though, Im in the same boat =)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:14 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I had the same problem at that age. It's just something you live with until they grow out of it. Now my daughter refuses to nap alltogether some days :p
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My son sometimes will just refuse to nap all together. He will fight me when I try to rock or cuddle him to sleep. He usually naps the longest in his swing or on a car ride. But usually not long after we reach our destination he will wake up. He is 6 1/2 months. I don't think there really is any way. You could always try a swing or a car ride.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:16 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• thank you guys!! i am glad to know that he is not the only baby like this. my MIL keeps telling me to just put him and there and let him cry which i have tried but he will just keep going during the day. the first time i put him down for a nap he will bry ofr about ten minutes ad then sleep but sometimes he wakes up like twenty or thirty minutes after i put him down. its like its so much easier just to hold him but then it makes it really hard for anyone else to take him in the day. and he is a very light sleeper and his big step brother who is 5 is coming next month and i am scared of how i am going to get his naps in. i absolutley love holding him for his naps cause its the onlt time he will let me hold him anymore but i def want to get him napping better in his crib:)
    Mgirly84

Answer by Mgirly84 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Hmm... have you tried a sling? It worked wonders for my daughter. I have an Over The Shoulder Baby Holder and I LOVE it! She could nap in it, feel like I was holding her, and I could get something done. I HIGHLY recommend you look into getting a good sling. Not the crappy "sling rider" POS that infantino makes, though. :p
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My 3 month old does not like to nap. She takes a few 10-15 min cat naps during the day and that is it. If you find the magic trick...let us know.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:42 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Have you tried letting him be in his crib for a bit to see if he will go back to sleep? My 10 mo old sometimes will wake up, but when he's fussy when he wakes up, I know he's not ready to get up. If I give him a few minutes, normally he passes right back out. And when I say fussy, I mean whiny, not full on crying =)
    jothra

Answer by jothra at 3:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• when you hear him waking up go in there don't even talk just give him a bottle with some water prop it up wait till he falls back asleep and go and take the bottle out, that helped me with my son and he naps two three hours during the day gets up for about an hour and goes back to sleep, but I always give him a bottle until he falls asleep worked for maybe will work for you, good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 5:16 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Very common! My first daughter was like this. Her limit was 30 minutes, and you could literally set your clock by it. Between 30 and 45 minutes kids that age go into a light phase of their sleep cycle, and some babies just aren't good at staying asleep through it. I tried lots of things -- white noise (fan, etc), darkening the room, letting her try to put herself back to sleep... nothing really worked reliably. I think what finally worked is that she outgrew it (around 8-9 months). Eventually she'd occasionally put herself back to sleep and complete a 90 minute nap (also a common wake time -- the end of a FULL sleep cycle this time), and then soon enough she was doing it every time. We always had to be very careful not to make a sound, though, when it was between 30-45 minutes into her nap, because she stayed very sensitive. I would just avoid rushing in there, keep room dark, etc, and I bet he'll outgrow the phase.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:21 AM on Jun. 13, 2009