At what age is it okay for your baby to sleep during the night without waking for a feeding?

My daughter is only 4 months old and has already started sleeping for 6-7 hour streches at night? My other children never slept that long this young. Should I wake her?

luvmyangels3

Asked by luvmyangels3 at 1:11 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Opinions vary. Some doctors say to wake a baby for the first couple of months, some say let a sleeping baby sleep.

I'd say let yours sleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Different babies are different. My daughter started sleeping through the night, more or less, around that age (4-5 months) and then she started waking up regularly again, and now (she'll be one on the 20th) she's sleeping through the night again. I think it just varies. I don't think it's "too young" for her to be sleeping a fairly decent period of time all at once.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 1:14 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Let sleeping babies lie! If she's wetting enough, no worries.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Let her sleep as long as she is putting on weight and happy.

She will wake when hungry and you might just frustrate her and cause night waking problems by waking her.

My dd is 15 weeks and she sleeps from 6 until 10pm when I give her a dream feed and then through until 4:30am when she wakes for a quick bottle and then back to bed until about 6:30am.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 1:31 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• If the baby sleeps let them. I do not see the point in waking a sleeping child.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:36 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• oh god no never wake a sleeping child!!!!

just let her sleep. she will wake up when she gets hungry hon :) its okay to worry. i'm the mom who stood over my first childs crib adn checked to make sure she was still breahting every like five seconds
    jennalms

Answer by jennalms at 1:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• When the baby is ready! If she is sleeping through the night already then she's probably ready. Unless she's having trouble gaining weight I'd let her sleep. If she had weight issues I'd wake her for that extra feeding at night. I was told not to let my son go more than 4 hours at a time when he was having weight problems.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 1:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• my girl slept the whole night through, from the night she was born. (go ahead. hate me if you want but its true. :) ) she's nine now. kids let you know when something is wrong. they cry. i think you are probably more worried that teh baby won't wake up, right? common fear. check on her if you feel the need but don't wake her up. you will be setting the precedent for her to start waking up all the time. trust me, you don't want that.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 2:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• definitely definitely let her sleep!!!! its great that shes already sleeping!! my dd was one of the rare ones that slept through the night from birth, i was also concerned, but was totally reassured by her doctor that its a great thing. If shes hungry she'll wake up!! so no worries!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:29 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Your so lucky luvmyangels3, my sister's baby is almost 7 months and still wakes up every couple hours or so...sometimes she gets a couple more hours in. I say let baby sleep.
    Angeleyez08

Answer by Angeleyez08 at 3:12 AM on Jun. 13, 2009