How much is enough?

I am a very new mommy and my son has really bad gas so I gave him Mylicon. I wanted to know if my breast milk was sufficient enough for him because he was a big baby 10lbs 4oz. So tonight I pumped for the first time and within 35 minutes I pumped about 90 ml. Ofcourse he doesn't suck as fast and frequent as the pump so I was curious, should I feed him til he stops eating or give him a certain amount.
I could call a nurse tomorrow but wanted to see if you other mommies had and advice for me.

Thank you in advance!

Fallon_Long

Asked by Fallon_Long at 2:42 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• More than likely your milk is sufficient, especially if you are exclusively breastfeeding. The best way to tell is if he is wetting 6-8 diapers per day and gaining weight properly! Most moms think the baby isn't getting full because their hungry again in a few hours...this is normal and breast milk is digested faster than formula so feedings are more often. I can't really tell you how much to feed him from the pumped milk because most babies tend to drink more from a bottle than they would from the breast...plus it comes out so much faster in a bottle that sometimes they don't realize their full. If you need anymore help PM me. I'm still bf and my son is almost 10 mos.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 2:46 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• i think ur supposed to feed until hes done. of course some babies will just lay with it in their mouth and not feed at all but he knows when hes done. when u use formula u have to worry about that more
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:46 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Yup, he'll stop when he's full. Just cause you pumped that much doesn't mean that's how much he is getting, totally different sucking patterns.

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 2:49 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Don't worry about what your pump says. I couldn't cover the bottom of a bottle when I pumped but she had an ultrasound done due to a medical problem and they said that I must produce too much milk because in 5 minutes her stomach was completely full.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:50 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• when u use formula u have to worry about that more
    what are you talking about??? at least formula you KNOW how much your baby gets

OP just feed til you baby is full... there isnt a certain amount you have to give
    congrats on breastfedding and your baby
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Nursing babies usually eat more because it's easier for their bodies to digest. I wouldn't worry about your milk supply. Sounds like it's more than enough. I always fed until my babies were full. So what if your baby was large. All babies eat differently. My daughter was 8 12 and would nurse for an hour to and hour and a half at one sitting.
    AmericanChild82

Answer by AmericanChild82 at 7:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• there are some fantastic groups here-check out 'breastfeeding moms' they always have excellent advice. with breastfeeding, you feed on demand, your baby knows how much they need, they will eat when hungry and stop when full. as pp said, pumping isnt a reliable indication of milk production.
    as far as your baby being large, its a myth that he needs formula.
    there are lots of myths about feeding, like Bmilk isnt thick enough/nutritious after a certain age/bib babies need formula among others, but they just arnt true.
    we as a species have been here for eons, and its only in the last hundred or so years we have had the option of formula, so if you consider that we have survived since the year dot just fine, its easier to figure out the myths from facts.
    good luck on your breastfeeding journey, it can be tough in the beginning, but it is such a worthwhile and beautiful thing to share with your baby!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• No worries... I would avoid pumping to try to see the volume he's taking because it's not a reliable way to know and the numbers game will just make you crazy. One of the great benefits of breastfeeding is that you don't have to worry about ounces and frequency, etc... your baby will tell you that, and your body, (for 99% of women) will properly adjust. Just feed baby on demand... it's the best way to keep your supply where it should be, and then rest assured.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:11 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• he'll get what he needs to get. just let him do his thing and you just sit down and look pretty.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 2:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I would freeze what you are pumping so you can get some time away from your baby. As long as diapers are getting wet and his soft spot is not sunken in, he is doing fine and you are doing great! Our bodies are truly wonderous; the composition of the breast milk changes with our babies so it is always the perfect food for them.
    The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2009