how can i get him to listen to me?!

im a step-mom to an 8 year old. i can not get him to listen to me. ive tried to talk to him and discipline him. we've been a family for going on 5 yrs now. he pouts and whines like a 3 yr old would. i've tried almost everything i can think of. can you please help me?!? im up to my neck with this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make him sit in a time out until he can act like a big boy. I know you have tried everything, but a consistant discipline would work wonders. Stick to your guns, no matter how hard or annoying it gets.
    Rmiddelton

Answer by Rmiddelton at 5:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• First of all,be his friend.then try to go out with him.Try to realise him your value in his life.When he will feel that you are very much imp. to him then he will surely listen to you.it will take a month or two.but i am sure he will be your lovable son.
    Deepal

Answer by Deepal at 5:48 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Simple: by showing that not listening receives consequences. Give a warning first. If he continues to be difficult, give a second warning where you explain what privilege will be lost/what discipline will happen. Third time and it's business time.

When he complains about not being able to watch TV/ride his bike/whatever, remind him, "You can't do ____ because you didn't listen to me when I asked you to ____."

Similarly, praise him when he's cooperative. "Thank you for making your bed this morning, that's such a big boy thing to do." "You are being very patient while waiting in line. Because you're being so polite, let's make cookies when we get home."
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 5:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2009