How do you save money? I would like to hear some good money saving tips.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• I reuse zipper bags, try to never use paper towels, buy only food that is on sale and stock up
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 4:05 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I try and buy storebrand Items, always look for sales on food cloths everything, you can shop at the mall just buy at the end of the season when they got all the good sales and always buy coulple sizes bigger so that way they can wear it next year, In Febuary I bought about a $1,000 dollars worth of cloths at dillards for my kids and husband and paid only about $200, you just got to look for the deals. Before I go grocery shopping I always look at the ads on line to find the best deals and then I know were to go
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:21 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Clearance baby!!! Gotta love clearance. You have to teach yourself to look for the bargains and only buy when you see them. I have save TONS of money like that. I am always getting stuff originally priced at $80 for $10! I also take hand me downs that are in good condition for my son. Same with toys. I DO NOT each out at all!!! On occasion I got to a restaurant but never fast food.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:04 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Replace paper towels and napkins with cloth
    Use coupons, buy on sale
    Past the age of 2,the only beverage humans need is water; don't buy juice, milk, soda, etc., except as a special treat
    Cook from scratch
    Replace meat with beans, seitan, lentils & tofu
    Cook dried beans instead of buying canned
    Make your own seitan
    Whole grains, like whole wheat pasta & brown rice, may cost more than simple grains, like white rice & pasta, but they are more filling & more nutritious, so they really are the better value
    Frozen fruits & vegetables often cost less than fresh; they have the added advantage of having a longer shelf life & holding their nutrition longer
    cont....

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner: yogurt with frozen blueberries & whole grain cereal or an omelet with veggies & a little bit of cheese with whole grain toast
    Before you go to the grocery store, plan your meals & snacks for the next 8 days. Base your grocery list on your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons. Eat before you shop. Buy only what’s on your list. The sales at the store are not to save you money, but to get you to buy more than you need; if you don't know for sure that you will use it in the next 3-4 weeks, don't buy it.
    If you would like some delicious, healthy & family/budget friendly recipes, feel free to contact me.
    -Robin

• Don't go grocery shopping if you are tired or hungry- I stop after work and it is a disaster- too much impulse buying.
    Make only one trip for many stops- combine errands into one car trip. Park between stops if you can and walk from one place to the other. When parking in a parking lot, if there are open spots a little farther down, use those instead of letting the car idle while you are waiting for a spot close to the store.
    Cut out take out- make it at home- healthier.
    "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

Answer by Bmat at 8:22 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I love all of these ideas, but as a health care professional, I would say to remember to make sure that enough calories are consumed by growing bodies, and that a very varied diet is consumed to account for necessary vitamins and minerals, protein and carbs, which help with energy requirements. Cereals and other high sugar foods, pancake, waffle syrup make you feel like crap 15 minutes after you eat them.

Also, children don't need to be on a diet per se, though watching out for a high fat diet is a good idea.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• We save a LOT of money on our energy bill with these simple strategies -
    we wash our dishes in the sink rather than in the dish washer (not leaving the tap on the whole time either)
    I hang my clothes out to dry and only use the dryer if the clothes are still a bit damp by the end of the day so it only takes about 10 minutes rather than an hour or more.
    We keep our house a little cool in the Winter and a little warm in the summer and really dress for the seasons.
    If we are going out for the day we turn the heat/AC up/down accordingly (it's not true that doing this takes more energy than leaving the thermostat alone as long as you are out of the house for a whole day or longer.
    Don't leave the computer running when you are not using it; either put it on sleep in the day time if you know you will be coming back to it and turn it right off over night.
    Typically we never pay more than $100 a month for our entire energy bill.
    LisaPisanic

Answer by LisaPisanic at 7:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009