Have you ever quit cold turkey?

My son is 2 and i am breastfeeding him. But lately it has been a little difficult and painful for me to continue doing it. I feel like i want to just quit all together. This is making me sad and i really do not want to breastfeed anymore. He is old enough now , i know he really doesn't need it. So i was wondering have anybody ever quit cold turkey? And how did it go? How long did it take for your baby to get use to it?

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• firstly, congratulations for breastfeeding for a full two years! that in itself is a wonderful thing. if you feel you need to stop, its best to drop one feed at a time to avoid engorgement/blocked ducts/mastitis/pain.
    even though your baby is two, they still do get benefit from your breastmilk-it IS still milk after all :) plus nursing can be very comforting, so again, stopping slowly is probably going to be easier on him too.
    unless you have a very strong reason to stop cold turkey, i would definitely advise a slower pace, for both of your sakes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Well done for nursing for 2 years, you've done your son the world of good by giving him your milk for that time - you should be very proud of both of you.

It's never recommended to quit cold turkey unless it's an absolute emergency - this can cause lots of pain for mom, and great upset to both mom and child.

If you are sure you want to stop now, then start by slowly eliminating feeds - say he is feeding 4 times a day - take out the morning feed this week, the afternoon feed next week - and so on.
    Gradually and gently.

This is the best way to end your nursing relationship on a good note - and after dedicating yourself to feeding him for this long it would be such a shame to go out on a bad note - with you in pain and him begging to nurse.

Just take it slowly, and aim to have the last nursing eliminated in 1-2 months time.

Good luck, and well done mom!
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:55 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Ditto what anonymous said. My first weaned while I was pregnant with #2 and he was 18 months old and it made me so sad because i so wanted to make it to 2 years. My second just turned 2 and is still happily nursing. I don't plan on weaning her anytime soon, but she seems to be weaning herself lately :(. Just take it slow. My son quit cold turkey. He was nursing 4-5 times a day and then all of a sudden wanted no more. I kept offering for 2 weeks and nothing so I quit offering. It hurt so bad when he quit and I would hand express some in the shower just to give myself releif every day. I put cabbage in my bra and that seemed to help.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• What I did with my oldest. When she was 26 months old she was nursing around the clock, constantly. It was time to be done, so I talked to her about how we were going to stop nursing, and I talked to other adults (my husband and a breastfeeding group) about it IN HER PRESENCE knowing she was listening.

Once I knew she had all the information one morning that had been decided on I just stopped nursing her during the day. I managed to do very well with it. She did too. Then a week later, I night weaned her the same way. She again took it very well.

Now, this approach won't work for everyone, I was fully expecting her to throw a huge fit and be difficult, but she took it extremely calmly.

I wish you the best of luck and CONGRATULATIONS on making it to that two year mark. :)
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 9:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Thank you so much moms for the advice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• That is awesome that you made it to 2! I was only able to BF my DS for 3 months and DD for 9. It was so sad for me both times. I know you must be sad to. I agree one feeding at a time. Good luck and great job!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:17 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• You should be very proud of yourself for going the entire two years. Tell your son that mommy milk is for babies, and big boys drink water. To celebrate him being a big boy, you are going to take him shopping. Let him pick out a Kleen Kanteen, or other stainless steel water bottle.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• You gave him an amazing gift. You go! I know this sucks because when you nurse and then wean especially at an advanced age, you feel like they are taking it personally. Like you are being mean to them. I am torn. If you quit cold turkey it will be hard for a week or so but then done. If you wean then it seems like it takes forever. Encourage sippy cups or what ever you choose. He is old enough to tell you the kind he likes. I think at this age his nursing is more a comfort thing than a nutrition thing...not that your milk is doing anything but good. I just think at his age it is a habit more than anything. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2009