Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mosquitoes

My 15 month old daughter is allergic to mosquitoes. Anytime she gets bit it swells up really bad. Well yesterday afternoon she got bit about an inch below her right eye. As the afternoon progressed it wasnt looking too bad but then around 9pm it started to swell really bad. When she woke up around 11 it was half swollen shut and when she got up this morning it was completely swollen shut. I have been putting Benadryl or Cortaid on it and giving her oral benadryl. Anyone else have any ideas on how I can get the swelling to go down? I feel terrible for her.

Answer Question
 
agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 8:56 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 6 (117 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Sounds like you are doing everything you can, if it doesn't go down by lunch time, I would take her to the doctor. Next time, tuck a dryer sheet in her pocket and the lil buggers will stay away. They don't like the smell.
    kustomkrochet

    Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:59 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • maybe ice? it sounds like you are doing everything I would
    HolliBerry21

    Answer by HolliBerry21 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • I would try an ice pack on it, and I also find that Aveeno has a cream that works really well on bites and such. I don't know if it would help her, but it might. I agree with the other person who said if it's not better by later today, I'd take her to the dr.
    tropicalmama

    Answer by tropicalmama at 9:12 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • I'm allergic to mosquito bites too. It's actually the saliva they use to numb the site they bite that people are allergic too. Ice packs are actually the opposite of what you want to do. I would just clean the area with soap and water and put WARM compresses on the bite, I think for 5-10 min. :) I didn't know I was allergic to mosquitos and one day my arm looked like it had a tumor! It was terrifying.
    tangleballlover

    Answer by tangleballlover at 9:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • Not ice! Warm compresses. Plain toothpaste will alleviate the itch.
    rkoloms

    Answer by rkoloms at 2:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.