I'm thinking of getting a kitten and I have a baby

I think it might be an older way of thinking that CATS may take a babies breath away. I grew up w/ cats even as a baby and now that I talk about getting one everyone says I shouldn't.

Well KITTENS can't jump 10 times their height like cats so it wont be able to jump in the crib and I can always shut the door to the bedroom as it becomes a cat.

Anyone had a bad experience with a kitten and your baby?

HolliBerry21

Asked by HolliBerry21 at 9:01 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Pets

• It is an old wives' tale that cats suck the breath of babies. What really happens (and is easily prevented), is that cats are attracted by the smell of milk or formula on the baby's breath, and can sit on the baby's chest, causing suffocation because the cat is about the same weight. Easily prevented by shutting the door to baby's room, as you stated in your post.

I've had cats with all 4 of my children, without incident. I say go for it, just take proper precautions, but it looks like you are already on top of that.

Good luck!
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 9:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Our cats were young when we had our first. I put one of those portable window screens over the bassinet so that the cats could look to see what was in there, and I kept the door to the room closed when the baby was very tiny, but the cats never bothered him, mostly they kept their distance.

Answer by Bmat at 9:09 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• If you want a kitten go for it. I had 2 cats when we had our first baby, the biggest problem I had was the 1 cat like to sleep in the car seat/carrier when the baby was not using it, which meant left behind cat hair.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 9:20 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I love how people believe in that fairytale!!!
    My boys have always had a cat from the time they were born to now. Go for it. They are one of the most loving pets to have
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 9:28 AM on Jun. 13, 2009