Have you ever been a victim of physical or mental abuse from a man?

How did you get out of that situation? Or are you still in that situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• yes. My now ex husband was mentally abusive. he kept me under lock and key. I was allowed to go to work and come home. not allowed friends. He cut me down from my looks to how I cooked. I divorced him. Best decision in the world. It really changed me and allowed me to spread my wings and learn to stand up for myself. Now I have wonderful friends and I don't allow him to treat my boys like he did me. i don't care if we are inside a room full of people, i will stand against him face to face. But...the flip side is I have not allowed another man back into my life on a long term base. NOT because I still love my ex---I don't what so ever, but because I am to content and greedy in my life. I have worked to hard to have what I have now and I'm not willing to share. THAT is something I wish i could change and have a relationship with someone again.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 9:33 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Yes but I got out. I went to a domestic violence shelter. I was working so I saved up and got my own place. I had three kids and not a lot of moral support. All friends and family were scared of him so they wouldn't help but I finally did it. If you or someone you know needs help call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-899-799-7233. They can help guide you. (or www.ndvh.org)

Answer by admckenzie at 10:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• "Yes, many years ago. I was punched in the face, dragged on the floor by my hair. He accused me of cheating, lying etc....when that was him doing those things. I made a plan and left his ass...I moved to another State. That was a horriable thing that I will never forget! If your going through that "Please leave!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• yes, my father was physically abusive and beat me w a gun rod...I though about killin myself all the time when I was 12yrs old. Then I married at 19 to a man who physically and mentally abused me...then I divorced him..Now I am w a man that treats me like a queen!!! I am a very lucky woman. My father now has 4 kids that have NOTHING to do w him and he blames my mom for brainwashing us. Stupid prick..he got his
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Yes, a few men actually. I had an abusive step-father, father, and first husband. I guess it's true about what they say about a woman marrying a man that is like her father. :(
    I won't go into details because I have PTSD and suffer from other mental issues from my horrific past, but I did get out of my abusive marriage when I ran out the door with my 18 month old daughter and had a neighbor call the police. They took us to a battered women's shelter where we could get some safety and legal help while they dealt with 'him.'
    He kept trying to harrass and threaten me, but was then transferred to another state (he was in the Navy) and he has never had anything to do with my daughter ever. I don't know what he told his family, but they cut me and my daughter out of their lives for good, too.
    I met a wonderful man a year later and have never known such goodness until he has shown me what it really is. I am so blessed now. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Yes and then he went to jail and I haven't seen him since. Luckily I wasn't married to him.
    Anonymous

• Yes I got out of it. He ended up getting sent to Korea for a year, and I started seeing what he had done to my life. I had no friends, barely communicated with my family. He would get mad at me just going to school every day. The last straw was him accusing me of sleeping around, he lied about having proof of it...I KNEW he had nothing because I went to class and came home. That was my WHOLE life aside from waiting to talk to him. It blew up and I had had enough. I was really relieved when it was finally over.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My baby's father was VERY mentally && verbally abusive. He cursed me && called me horrible names constantly. I wasn't allowed 2 have a cell phone or friends. I was 2 go 2 work && come home && that was it. He never actually hit me, but he would corner me in a room or pick me up && slam me down on the couch. He had a horrible temper with a VERY short fuse. I tried leaving him quite a few times but he physically would not let me. One time I tried leaving && he blocked my car in w/his truck, so I rammed it, but even that didn't work. We finally had 2 move in with my father when I went on maternity leave b/c he didn't have a job, as usual, && I didn't get paid 4 the time I was off. So anyway, a few months after my son was born I told him 2 get the hell out. Being at my dad's && surrounded by family, I finally felt safe enough 2. It was the best decision I have ever made && I am so much happier && with a man who truly loves me now.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2009