My three month old is coughing...

My daughter is 12 and a half weeks old and started coughing the other night... At first I thought she was just choking on her hand that she discovered and now won't take the pacifier cuz she's got her hand to suck on now, but when I would run in her hand was no where near her mouth and she was sound asleep... the next morning I knew for sure it wasn't her hand because I saw her cough right in front of my face when I was changing her. I called her doctor and explained that it is a dry cough, with no other symptoms, and they said to just keep an eye on it.... Does anyone know why she could be coughing (her doctor obviously isn't giving me any explanation)... Also, I think she may be an early teether.... drooling a lot, and chewing on her hand, etc. She's early at everything else so I wouldn't be surprised. Donno if this has anything to do with her cough, could it? Or is it allergies? Or God forrbid anything worse?

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 9:38 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your best bet is the humidifier if she has no fever. You might want to record when she is coughing so you can tell your ped the next time you have an appointment if it continues. There isn't much in the way of medication for babies so young, unless prescribed, so keeping records is important. Hopefully it will clear up on its own.
    chrissie79

Answer by chrissie79 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Put a humidifier next to her crib. That's what our pediatrician suggested and it helped a little but then we discovered that her coughing was due to allergies. I'd say if she doesn't have a fever, I wouldn't worry about it to much. If she starts running a fever I'd call the doctor again. GL!
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My dd did that for about a month and a half. Doc said nothing was wrong...just needed to watch and be sure that it didnt progress. Still not sure what it was.....but she is fine now. hasnt been sick a single time in her 6 ms of precious life.
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 1:13 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Thank you all for your responses. I do keep a humidifyier near her. How come all these mothers on here post like 30 response to stupid political questions or spend forever arguing about dumb stuff, but when a mother really has a problem like needs advice about her baby's cough there is hardly any responses? what is wrong with people!
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 10:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Don't vaccinate her anymore...or the next time you update your profile, it might say...'mother of a child with Autism, or...ADD, ADHD, GB, Kawasaki disease, Asthma, Diabetes, etc. If you continue to have your child vaccinated, she will have so many allergies, ear infections, on & on. Also, she could have seizures, brain swelling with some vaccines...or the worst being...Death. Please do your research before you ever make the decision to vaccinate again. Also, keep her away from tap water...Fluoride is toxic, it is not good for her teeth, your teeth, or mine...Research that as well, if you care to that is.
    Anonymous

• The first three reposnes were fab ones...not much to add...except she's likely coughing on the drool/

Answer by gdiamante at 3:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• about the water.... I breastfed my daughter... and about the vaccines... I am very careful and do do my research thank you
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 4:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009