why why why

Why is it the first question some women ask "are you going to breastfeed?" I told someone the other day that I was going to keep a friends child when she goes back to work and the lady was like "so, the Mom is going to bottle feed?" why is it anyone's business?? and besides, working women can bf and/or pump??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• you could always shock them and tell them "No, I am actually going to be the baby's wet nurse while she's at work!"

People are nosey, but that should keep them quiet. LOL
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 10:39 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Because that is the very core of health for a baby. Breastfeeding is very important and people like to know that babies will b given the best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• People are just nosey like that. Who cares, as long as the baby is being fed! Its not like people would normally go around and say 'you are going to feed your toddler right?' People are just too dang nosey.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• people want to know everything! when is your due date? are you going to breast feed? do you know the sex? whats the name going to be? the only things that are missing is what waqs the heart rate during your last prenatal and how much do you way?
    AlexesmommySam

Answer by AlexesmommySam at 10:11 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I don't know. I didn't even know there was some sort of debate over breastfeeding and bottle feeding until I joined this website. It's weird to me....
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:18 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• anon 9:01...people do not care about the baby...anon 9:07 hit the nail on the head...people are just nosey UGH go mind your own business people
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with people being curious. It is natural. If it gets too personal then that's a different matter, but breast feeding. I think that I wouldn't have asked in that situation, but if the person you were talking to is a good friend of yours, then yeah, something like that would be interesting. I was in line at a store in front of a man who had two babies. Just to pass time, I smiled and said "twins?" Gosh did I get snubbed! He glared at me and said "Yes." I thought, oops, Just trying to be friendly here, but obviously he felt it was too personal from a stranger. Ummm, I think I've gotten off topic. We were talking breastfeeding. I am interested if someone is breastfeeding, but I also realize it really isn't any of my business and would only ask a close friend.

Answer by Bmat at 10:46 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I would only ask a friend about their breastfeeding. That is not something I would just go right up and ask/ask about a stranger or acquaintance. Breast may be best but it's not the only way to feed a baby and it bugs me when people get on their high horse about breastfeeding. Babies have gotten along just fine on formula for years! And yes I did breastfeed my kids one longer than the other but yes.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Nosey people, that's all.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:36 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• You can always say, "NO, I don't plan to breastfeed, but my husband does."
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009