Insufferable mama's girl.

How do I break my 18 month old from wanting to be up my rear all the time. I swear if I 'm not holding her or she's not eating she crying at my feet. She only does this to me and if I am home Daddy is not acceptable. If I am gone anyone will do and she is fine playing on her own. I spend time with her but when I get up to try and make lunch or pick up the house I am trailed by this red faced crying child. I love her dearly but i just can't hold her every min of the day. She is not sick and she has always been this way. Letting her cry while I get things done and then picking her up again is not working...What do I do she is driving me batty!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Both my boys went through this stage. As long as I was within view they were fine. The minute I went around a corner, they would scream like they were terrified. It was just something they had to get over, it gets really inconvenient to have a person attached to you at all hours of the day, makes it hard to get things done! This will pass you will have to just start walking away from her tiny bits at a time until she realizes you won't be gone forever. Give her interesting toys to foster independant play, you will get there!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Oh wow, I have no idea. You've tried just letting her cry for a while? Maybe is there some tv show she really likes and you can plop her in front of it while you're trying to get things done? I wish I had some advice, I haven't dealt with that one.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:20 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• when you find what to do PLEASE tell me because that is exactly how my 16 month old dayghter is. she is fine with anyone and everyone but when she's with me it either tugging at my leg or crying because she wants to be right next to me while i do dishes or laundry it drives me crazy lol
    Babe587

Answer by Babe587 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My 19 month old is the same way. I think age is the only real "cure." Maybe when they're married they'll leave us to be for a few minutes lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:28 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• SHE WILL OUTGROW IT, ENJOY BEING SPECIAL IN HER LIFE NOW, IT WILL SOON END.

Answer by older at 11:06 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• oh no! this is what i have to look forward to with my 9 month old!!! she is a terrible momma's girl. if she is in a room with someone else she is fine but if I even walk by the door she starts screaming and crying and hollering "MAMA MAMA MAMA!!" ugh! i need to fix this before i have to put up with it for another 9 months
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 11:39 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Honestly, this is a sign of good bonding. She will grow out of it. Do you have a friend or family member or neighbor you can trade child care with for a few hours a week?

Answer by rkoloms at 12:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Have her help you or stop cleaning and play a game. Usually they just want attention and you are her favorite person right now. Be happy because when she is a teenager she won't want to be anywhere near you. LOL
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I don't know of anything that will "work" right away, but I do think it is a good idea to encourage her independence little by little.....Just keep the goal in mind and don't do anything that is counter-productive. Is there ever a moment that she is engaged in something that doesn't require your interaction? If so, don't interupt that! I guess you could try giving her some attention right before you have to do something else and then telling her you will join her again later. She is young to understand, but over time.....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:59 AM on Jun. 14, 2009