Cystic fibrosis.

Does anyone know anything about it or who can explain it to me??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Health

• i can somewhat. cystic fibrosis is when there is a lot of mucus in the lungs and the child is constantly coughing it up and needs more special medical attention than other kids. if you're pregnant, the only way the child will HAVE it is if both parents are carriers, if only one parent is a carrier than it is likely that the child will only be a carrier and not actually have the disease.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Okay. Thank you. My fiancé has it but he doesn't like to talk about it. So I don't really understand everything or what I can do to help him.
    Anonymous

• google it!! find out more if someone you love has it!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I had two very close friends with CF. They both had to take special medication whenever they ate to help them digest the food. They also had respitory problems, and theere were other things as well that I can't think of right now.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• btw both parents do not have to be carriers for the kids to have it. My friends family there were two with CF and their oldest did not.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Yes- both parents DO have to be carriers of the disease for the child to have it. It dosen't mean the child WILL have it, but both parents HAVE to carry the gene for the child to get CF.
    Anonymous

• from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation....
    "To have cystic fibrosis, a person must inherit two copies of the defective CF gene—one copy from each parent. If both parents are carriers of the CF gene (i.e., they each have one copy of the defective gene, but do not have the disease themselves), their child will have a 25% chance of inheriting both defective copies and having cystic fibrosis, a 50% chance of inheriting one defective copy and being a carrier, and a 25% chance of not having CF or carrying the gene."

Anonymous