How do I know I'm doing the right thing?

I've had the hardest time trying to figure out my milk supply since my son got home from the NICU. He was only there for two weeks but he got so used to the bottle that sometimes that's the only way to console him. It makes me sad because there is nothing I want more than to breastfeed my adorable baby boy...but I don't want him to go hungry and sometimes he cries SO HARD, it breaks my heart and I give in. It doesn't help that we live with my grandmother who is always acting like I'm starving him when I try to drop the bottle completely... please someone give me advice on this subject because I really do want to strictly bf.

shiasmommy41209

Asked by shiasmommy41209 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do both. Do the breast for the experience and supplement with the bottle.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:55 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Trust your body. If he's latching on properly, you should have no problem feeding your baby with your breasts alone. Consult with your pedi of course if your baby was in the NICU (I don't know your specific situation), but in general a baby who is latching properly will get enough milk if nursed on demand. This may mean lounging with your baby about 24 hours a day for awhile, but it's well worth it. Tiny babies need to eat often, especially breastfed ones. Women who formula fed their babies are used to seeing babies drink a huge bottle and then be set for hours on end. This just isn't what breastfed babies do, especially when they're trying to help you regulate your supply! So remember, it's not your job to worry about your supply, it's your job to respond to your baby by offering the breast whenever he's demaning it. Don't be afraid to get in touch with a lactation consultant if you have any doubts. Best of luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:57 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• If it makes you feel bad, dont do it. If he's crying feed him. You dont have to be a good mom by breastfeeding. It's overrated. Some do , some dont. If he wants it fine, if he wants a bottle fine. Stop worring about it.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• i say do both for awhile and if u really want to breastfeed exclusively slowly start dropping the bottle. that first few tries to get him onto the breast may be hard because he's so used to the bottle but stand firm. if he's hungry enough he'll latch on. i must warn you though that it will be hard, and it may hurt a little if he's really used to the bottle but keep at it. GOOD LUCK!
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 1:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Always offer the breast first. Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse or pump. Take brewers yeast tabs or fenugreek caps, and have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby to help increase your milk supply.
    Gently remind your grandmother that she raised her children her way, now it is your turn.

Good luck and enjoy your little one!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I would seek out the help of a good Lactation Consultant. She will be able to help you w/ getting your baby back to just the breast. The hospital that you delivered at should be able to help you get in contact w/ one. Also, check out the kellymom link posted above - that site has the BEST breastfeeding advice!
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2009