I need an honest opinion

So my husband is in Korea and while he is gone I work part time at Walmart. He wants me to save money, so idealy we were to put all of my checks into savings and save out of his checks what we could after bills were paid. Well anyway, he just keeps spending money like crazy. I told him please watch your spending until I have all the bills paid and then I can tell you what the balance is so we don't have to dip into savings. Well so what does he do? Goes and pulls money out of savings. That money is not to be touched unless it is an absolute emergency (which btw it was not) so my question is, would it be wrong of me to open a seperate savings account so I will be able to save? It's not like I want to hide money from him, but he clearly is going to keep doing this as long as he had access.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• It's what I'd do. Sometimes people have different ideas about spending money, or they can't help themselves. So I'd have a separate account where I could squirrel away some savings.

Answer by Bmat at 11:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Well, first, I would try asking him (politely) how he expects you to save money if he keeps spending it, since you say he wants you to save money. If he has no answer or continues doing it, then yes, I'd open another account to put it in. He may get upset with you,though, so be prepared for that.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:10 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My dh does not have access to our savings. If he did there would not be one!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 11:39 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I would do it. But, what is his deal with crazy spending in Korea? Where is that money going? Money issues are tough, I know first hand. He needs to stop this. Can he direct deposit into savings, and can you take him off it for withdrawals temporarily? When does he come back? You have a lot to discuss.  I'd be quite angry and upset if I were you and want answers and a solution.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. If he is not responsible enough, YES do it. You have to think about yourself and your future.
    Anonymous

• I would!!!!
    Anonymous

• To be honest, I don't think you can do that- maybe you can start a separate checking account and put your money in to pay some of the bills. I think saving money is great- but you gotta pay your bills first- and if he's taking too much from the checking account, then you're income will have to cover that.

Also I agree with the other posters. Really try to spell it out for that you don't have that much money.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think it is imperative that you open a separate account to save money in.
    Is he in the military? If so, then you need to tell him that he needs to have an allotment set up so that he gets a certain monthly amount from his paycheck sent to him each payday and that is all he allowed to get and spend.
    If he is not in the military then you really need to explain to him that if he keeps spending the money before you pay the bills then you will have to open another checking account and have the money transferred over to cover the bills and leave some for him to spend in the original account.
    If he is going to act irrespponsible then he needs to be led by the hand.
    I'm sorry, but he needs to grow up.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I agree with the other posters. I'm actually bad about dipping into the savings account and I'm the one that takes care of the bills and what not. My husband still has a separate account from before we were married, so I actually send money to his account for us to save for him to get a new car. Our joint savings account is more of our overdraft protection than real savings. Then we have investment accounts for other savings, too, which we can get to, but it's more difficult.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 14, 2009