sleeping in the crib

How do you keep the baby in the crib all night? I have a 3week old, my 3rd baby, I co-slept with the older 2 and am trying not to do that this time, but...she doesn't like to sleep in the crib at night, she sleeps in it fine during the day. She wakes up for her 12am feeding and then wont go back to the crib, she cries and whines when we put her in it. Its in our room so we can't let her cry it out or we wont get sleep, plus it will wake up the other 2 kids. Any advice and no bashing please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Perhaps you could get a bassinet and put it next to the bed. That way you could still reach over and comfort her until she falls back asleep. Plus it will help her adjust to sleeing on her own at night. We had the same issue with my oldest 2. They would sleep fine in the crib during the day but at night they wouldn't. Bassinet worked wonders for us.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 2:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Get the other 2 out of the bed. It's really not fair that they get to sleep there, and this baby doesn't. I'm sure she feels somethings not right. Wait, she's only 3 weeks? Most babies don't sleep well that young. IDK. None of our babies slept the entire night in bed with us, not on a normal basis. Usually when hubby got up to go to work, I'd just bring the baby in bed with me.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• The older 2 kids are not in the bed with us anymore, they sleep in their own room, her crying will still wake them up since our house is not that big.
    Anonymous

• First off, do you bath her at night before she goes to bed? If not try bathing her before you put her to bed, some lavender oil into her bath so that it will relax her and she will go to sleep, if that doesn't work try giving her some cammomile tea w/ a bit of kayro light syrup in it. That is to help her to relax to sleep also.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Aw the poor little thing. Maybe the big crib is scary for her at night? She might feel safer snuggled into something smaller like a bassinet or one of those bed attachments that slide under your mattress and keeps her close to the side of your bed, right close to you, without actually co-sleeping. Well, it is co-sleeping, and there isn't really anything wrong with it to a certain extent, but she just may need the extra security.
    I know you must be very tired at that time of the night and just want to get back to sleep because you have 2 older children to care for early in the morning, but I'm thinking that she might want to be held onto longer.
    I'm sorry I wasn't much help. It's always difficult until they settle into a routine and get used to their environment.
    I wish you the best and want to say congratulations on your new baby!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• She is only three weeks old....by the time you read this response she will probably be doing something different at night! Nothing is really that predictable yet....her patterns will be constantly changing. It is hard, that is for sure!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Get a heating pad. When she is getting fed, put the heating pad (low setting) on the crib sheet. When you put her down, the sheet will be nice and warm not cold and shocking. She will snuggle in and not be awaken by the cold sheet. This worked like a charm for my 3.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Maybe she is having tummy trouble. I would keep her in there. Perhaps you could sleep in her room for a bit until you get her on a solid schedule. If she is sleeping fine in the day, I would suspect tummy trouble or something like that. Do you have a night light in there? Maybe some soft music? I don't think it is the crib, but rather something else. Does she sleep most of the day? She may have her days and nights mixed up and you should keep her up during the day if you can.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009