Since when is a one year old considered to be a toddler??

I thought babies didn't become toddlers until they were two years old, but according to the Answers section, 1-2 years old is considered the toddler years.

Is this another example of hurrying our children to grow up???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Toddlers "toddle". That usually happens sometime around the first birthday. The "terrible twos" also usually happen sometime in that same year.

While there isn't much difference between a 14 month old and an 11 month old, there is a huge difference between an 18 month old and an 11 months old. The arbitrary line has to be drawn somewhere so it's drawn at the first birthday. This just groups 1 and 2 year olds together since they are so much different than babies but not anywhere close to preschoolers. They are learning to walk, run, jump, learning to talk, and make their wishes known.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• They become toddlers when they start "toddling". Usually that is around 1 year old. As far as I know it's always been that way. I've always referred to my children as toddlers once they were a year old and stopped when they turned 3.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I feel a toddler is not by the age but by what the child is doing! And for me and my friends toddler started at about 16-18 months, which is still before 2 years!
    And does it REALLY matter what the category says??? A lot of things change at a year
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think some consider it to be when they start walking.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:51 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• No, I don't think it is an effort to make them grow up faster....I think they are just starting to walk and "toddling around".....no longer babes in arms. Could it be that you are trying to keep the baby young longer? I think it is an unusual thing to take issue with.....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My pediatrician considered a child a toddler when they were either 1-walking or 2-one year old. Babies were anything under a year. This was about 10+ years ago, so it's not new.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My son was walking at 9 months I considered him a toddler once he could walk and "toddle" around the house. He was still my baby at 7 he still is. I don't see what the big deal is.
    Anonymous

• LOL mine didn't 'toddle' until 16 months!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Once they start toddling around they become toddlers. As far as I know it's always been that way.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• One or two years old is when children start to toddle. My oldest son started walking when he was 8 months old.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2009