• In the Spotlight:

What should I feed my 2 year old?

My 2 year old son is soooo picky. And I feel he's not eating enough or the right foods. I have talked to his doctor and he says he will go through phases but he never changes. I don't substitute what I have made for him to eat with anything else, if he doesn't eat it then he doesn't eat. But that still doesn't help. I just want to know what types of foods you get your children to eat and the type of schedule(like if you give snacks, liquids). Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 19 mos and I rarely give her sweets. (like cookies) but she prefers broccoli over anything else so I usually add cheese and hide some ham or chicken in there. I give her fruits for snacks and yogurt in the morning with cereal. Throughout the sday I give her fruit snacks, goldfish, quesadilla (SPELLING), peanut butter and jelly or honey sandwhiches, turkey sandwhiches... She is hooked on apple jiuce and i dilute it, but i'm trying to get her to drink water or milk and she isn't allowed soda. Pretty much I give her whatever eat and as many new foods as I can.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• my so is going through the same thing.. if he doesnt eat then he dont..
    but i dont like..
    he drinks more milk then anything elas..
    i guess just put some food in front of him..& let him feed himself..
    try cuting out the food in crazy shape&size's & maybe that will catch his attention....
    ima try the same thing with my son to see if it works...
    good luck..c=
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• At two, the only beverage that he needs is water. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    I hope that you are setting a great example by eating healthy foods. Also at two, he should be having dinner with the family, even if it is just you two.
    The picky phase will pass, as long as you continue to offer a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans (great source of calcium and iron), seitan, lentils, tofu.
    Kids love to dip: fruit & yogurt; veggies & hummus or salad dressing; whole wheat pasta & marinara sauce.
    Frozen peas, blueberries and corn (all still frozen); along with avocado and tofu chunks; are generally eaten during picky phases.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I have a ton of healthy, tasty, budget and family friendly recipes. I can list some; contact me for recipes.
    Noodles & veggies with peanut sauce
    Veggie pot pie
    Lentil tacos
    Squashed macaroni
    Sweet potato & black bean burritos
    Sloppy jojos (made with lentils)
    Noodles with beans, sauce, spinach&cheese
    Italian stew
    Veggie stew with dumplings (crockpot)
    Southwest falafel (bean patties with avocado sauce)
    Tofu "fish sticks" with sweet potato or acorn squash baked "fries"
    General Tsao’s Tofu
    Tamale Bean Pie
    The rule at our house is you try 3 bites of dinner, if you don't like it you get (yourself) toast with peanut butter & honey with an apple

Answer by rkoloms at 2:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• my daughter loves to eat egos and sausage in the morning
    Anonymous