How often to you get out, or get time away from your baby/kids?

I can't remember the last time I was away from my child, and I'm going crazy. Whenever I do leave the house it is with her, and I feel I need a few hours to myself (don't know how to make it happen, dh is waaaay too busy to take her, and she is such a mamma's girl that she isn't happy with anyone else, daddy being the only exception.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DH works a lot and my in-laws (only people I'm comfortable leaving her with)are a long drive away. So she's a year and I may have spent a total of 50 hours away from her. One overnight with Bubbie and if I leave her with DH to go to the store.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I'm lucky though, my 2 best friends have girls the same age so we go out to the arboretum and the beach.  I do want to plan a nice lunch with the girls and some margaritas.  Some place on the water.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• my son is 16 months .. i was a stay at home mom.. but when he was 4 months i started working.. but for some reason it wasnt the same as having time for myself...
    when he was like aorund 6 months ago i stop working.. & snice i been with my son up& down..
    i dont have time for my self & i think that i wont have it for a while more....
    Anonymous

• i rarely get time away. and it kills me. literally. i'm a wreck. i'm a stay at home of two babies. ones about to turn two and the other is 7 months. the dad works all the time and since he works he feels he shouldn't have to take care of the kids that often. the only time i get to go out is when my father or my mother watch the kids. and never do i get to go out by myself. i always have to go out with the husband. he's very controlling. i smoke and rarely do i ever get to go outside and relax for 5 minutes.
    and yes everybody needs a few hours to themselves. even when i do get a an hour or so away while my mom watches them and i run errands, it feels as if it doesn't help. so i don't know anymore.
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 12:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Well I work part time but aside from that my husband watches him maybe one night a week while I go visit my friends who don't live far for a couple hours but it's always after 8pm when the baby is in bed anyway. Then like once or twice a month I'll go OUT with my friends to dinner or to have a drink or something. Then occassinally I get to actually go out alone with my husband and my mother comes over to watch the baby. But again always after he's in bed so he never really even notices we're gone. Love my son but need my adult time!
    Anonymous

• I have a get away in my house. I ride my exercise bike and read 30 minutes a day, no one can interrupt me. I started with 10 minutes and worked my way up to 30. Take a good look at your life and see where it fits. I do it from 730-800 pm, just before the night time routine starts. My kids are usually pretty mellow at that time, hubby is home, dinner is done, kitchen is clean... etc.....
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• with my first i got plenty of time to myself because his grandma always wanted to spend time with him (and who am i to stop them, especially when i wantd to sleep!) but with this one i rarely get a chance to do anything for myself. i have to watch her day and night and i don't get a chance to even shower until DH gets home from work and he watches her for awhile until i get out the shower and than he goes to sleep. i think it really gets easier once the child gets a little older and are able to entertain themselves and play with kids their own age. but remember that one day they're gonna leave the nest and u'll be lucky if they decide to call so enjoy it if u can. don't stress urself. i say save up and plan something for youself one day and get someone to watchher for the day while u go nd do u
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 1:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• um. time AWAY from the kids. ...
    it varries. I'd say ...a few times a year. it used to be at least once a month, but life has changed.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Do you have a friend, neighbor or family member you can trade childcare with for a few hours a month?

Answer by rkoloms at 2:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My daughter is 6 months and My dh and I have been out maybe 3 times since her birth...as far as alone time.....the only time I get is her 2 2 hour naps during the day.......after that its the hubby and our live in and the baby til her bedtime......IM GOING CRAZY!....lol
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 1:10 AM on Jun. 14, 2009