Would it be tacky to ask party guests to bring their on alcohol to the party?

I'm throwing myself a 40th birthday party. I seldom drink (maybe 1-3 times a year). Therefore, I don't know what kind of alcohol to buy to please my party guests.

luvnmom39

Asked by luvnmom39 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Entertainment

• Just put BYOB on the invites... most likely your friends already know that you seldom drink... but also have something in the house just in case...maybe some beer ... we do it all the time and none of our family and friends mind at all... infact it's a norm around here...

Happy Birthday
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I would add "BYOB" to the invitations, but buy a few bottles of Champagne to toast the occasion! If I'm not asked to bring something to a party, hubby and I always bring our own wine/beer to give to the host and share with other party goers.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I would supply some beer and wine. Keep it to that. When you encourage people to BYOB your getting into liquor. I would suggest getting a rider on your insurance. Its not that expensive and very worth it anytime you have people drinking at a party your having. I know it may sound like over kill.........my neighbor lost everything they had due to a alchohol related party at there home. Someone left and were legally drunk and killed several people in a crash.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Put BYOB on the invitations. If anyone asks, just say "I don't drink much and I would not mean to but would make really bad choices trying to get the right thing for other people"
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 12:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I agree with the BYOB thing... we are in the same boat here, not big drinkers! I usually say, "I'll have some wine and mixers- bring your favorite bottle to share".... its kind of a festive way to say-BRING SOMETHING! I always have sprites, cokes, tonic, limes, lemons, and of course ice so people can make mix drinks.... never had a complaint.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Go right on ahead. I do it all the time. Nobody ever gets offended. Most of the time when I go to parties, I bring my own, because its easier to have the stuff I like right there!
    navyma23

Answer by navyma23 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• i'm not a fan of byob parties, it just reminds me of college. but i long ago gave up wasting a ton of money trying to please everyone. so i just put "beer and wine" or "beer and margaritas" will be served on the invitation. i feel that lets people know, if you don't want that... bring your own. i still feel like i'm being a good hostess, but not trying to give away crap that we'll never drink at the end of the night.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I dont drink that much either. My hubby thinks when we have a party 1/2 the budget has to go on liquor. I disagree! Bring their own crap if they want to get drunk! (put BYOB on the invite though)
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• If everyone you invited are good friends, then it's fine. If they are acquaintances, then it would be tacky.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• If you don't drink, then why have alcohol? Grownups should know how to have fun without it.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2009