Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is there any laws that will help a child on ssi keep his puppy in illinios ?

My son has ADHD , odd, CD, and bi polar my land lord said we can't keep his puppy but Dr. said it would help him . Don't know what to do . My kids are very upset and cries . I'm not willing to give up puppy because he has been helping both kids alot esp. my daughter who has emotional issues kids are 9 and 10 years old any help would be great Thank you in advance


Asked by momoftwo199 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • There is actually a federal law that protects this. It's known as the ADD act, which stands for Americans with Disablities,and it clearly states that nobody can be discriminated against because of their disablities or a situation resulting from said disability. If a doctor can give you a note saying that the puppy would be a sort of in home therapy and/or that he recomends it for a treatment for you son, there is nothing that landlord can do. If he tries it, you can sue. I would get the note from the doc first and try to reason with the landlord.

    Answer by KaityLynn21 at 1:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

  • If you signed a lease saying that there are no dogs, then there is nothing you can do.

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • Have you explained to the land lord its a medical reason for the puppy?? Maybe get a note from the DR!!

    Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • if its in the lease you signed an agreement, i would try to move to a diff place if possible

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • First thing I would do is get a note from the dr saying that there are medical reasons for having the puppy and present it to the landlord, see if it changes his mind. If it doesn't, then he is the landlord and you have to respect his wishes unless you have a lease that allows pets. You'll either have to get rid of the puppy or move, if that happens.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 1:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • I really don't think there is anything you can do but move. If you signed a lease that states no animals, not much that can be done. Talk to the landlord about how helpful the dog is for your children. You could also offer to pay a couple hundred of dollars as a pet deposit.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • Unless it is a service dog, the landlord can kick it out. How about you offer him a deposit that he can keep if the dog messes up something? Or pay him and extra $10 a month?

    Answer by asiamommi at 6:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

  • I'm not familiar with Illinois law regarding service dogs, but I do know that in some states, service dogs are able to be "prescribed" to treat all sort of illnesses and disabilities - from depression to blindness to epilepsy and so on. You might want to look on the internet & find a service dog training famility in IL . Ask them if they are familiar with what types of disabilities the law covers and how your son would go about getting his dog certified. My sister in CA was able to get her dog certified as a service dog for an issue she has. I hope it works out for you and especially your son - I know the healing powers of animals.

    Answer by Evansmomintexas at 2:11 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • as the previous posters have said, unless your lease states pets are allowed (normally a deposit has to be made), you move, or you have the dog declared as a service dog, then there is nothing you can do. I suggest getting the puppy trained as a service dog. You will even be able to take the dog to public places (the mall, store, etc) to help keep your son calm.

    Answer by Angel8203 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2009