Anyone else have a negative Rh factor??

I am a little worried. I have an A(-) blood type, and DH happens to have A(+). Apparently, that can cause some issues with my pregnancy. Now I have to get two shots, one at 28wks, and one right after birth....I am scared to get them though, I just want to have a natural pregnancy, prenatal vitamins are enough drugs for me. Can the RlGn (I think that it what it is called) shot harm my baby?? Do I have the right to refuse it? They sprung this all on me yesterday at my OB's office, when they have known for the past 20 weeks that I have a neg. blood-type.......why didn't they tell me about this sooner so that I could research it more?? Sorry this is long and weird, I am in panic-mode right now :(

IzzysMommy87

Asked by IzzysMommy87 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• hey I'm a- too. and the father i didnt know his blood type as i dont speak to him any more, but i got the rhogam shot around....i wanna say 26 weeks but im not sure so dont quote me on that. but my due date was yesterday and baby is fine! they will test her blood after shes born andif shes A- as well i wont need another shot. but if she isnt then ill get another shot.. its really not a big deal, they wouldnt give you anything to hurt the baby.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 12:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I went through that with all 3 of my pregnancies.
    All my boys are healthy and great. Its a precautionary measure and is really no big deal in the end. Important but its a quick shot, you get a little card that you had it and you go about your day. I didnt even notice them give me my shot after I gave birth cuz I was busy with other things. :)

The main thing is not to get the bloods mingling, that can cause bad issues with the baby, so this helps prevent issues if that happens.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It wont hurt the baby. I had it as well, i believe around 26 weeks weeks. My daughter was positive so i had to get it after birth as well. It doesnt hurt the baby at all.

I'm assuming you have the right to refuse it.....i never asked. You could always ask how it would affect you if you DIDNT have the shot.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Sorry to answer your question with another question, but does the negative factor only come to play when the mother is negative? The reason I ask is because I'm A+ and my husband is A-. Anyway, my friend had the RH factor and had to get a shot during her pregnancy. She said it wasn't bad. I would do it only because if the DR suggested it I'd feel nervous if I didn't do it. I don't think it will harm your baby, but I think if you don't get the shot it might harm the baby.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I also have A- and I just had my shot a little wile ago. I do believe though that my blood and my mothers blood mingled when I was born. I had lost two babys before I got pregnant with my son now. the first one I didn't even know what happend I just thought my body wasnt ready yet but with the second it was the same daddy as my sons now. he is A+ and they found out my body was regecting the children. I had gotten my first ever shot in october and then in januarry I find out I am 6 weeks pregnant. there is nothing to worry about with the shot and I am honestly happy I got it.
    my son is still growing like a champ and is as active as ever
    AlexesmommySam

Answer by AlexesmommySam at 1:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Your blood type is considered RH negative. Being that the babies father is RH positive there is a chance the baby will take on his blood type. The reason they give you the injection, which is called RHOGAM is so that your body does not try to attack your baby's in the event your blood mixes during the pregnancy or delivery. It is harmless to the baby and is actually given to protect the baby. It is given at 28 weeks and again after delivery. Most doctors will also give the injection to an RH - mom who is spotting during the first trimester. I know this is a lot of information to process for someone going through it for the very first time. I work for an OB so I see this and explain it everyday. Get the injection, and relax...both you and baby will be fine :0)
    TWOMUCHFUN09

Answer by TWOMUCHFUN09 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I am also A- and had Rhogam shots with all 3 children.

The shot does not affect your current baby, but if you don't get it and your current baby is Rh+, the blood can conflict and cause you to lose future babies. We are really blessed to have the Rhogam shot available so we Rh- women can have multiple babies without worrying about tons of miscarriages.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I am RH-. Get the shot. It will protect future babies. A friend of mine's younger sister ended up born severely disabled because the shot wasn't available where they lived (foreign country). Without the shot, your body may attack future pregnancies and cause damage or death.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I am A- as well, and I totally understand your worries. You absolutely have the right to refuse the shot, however, there are risks and you should research those and be aware of them if you do choose to refuse the shot. I almost refused mine, however knowing that they no longer put thimerosal in the Rhogham shot, I chose to get mine just to be safe. I have lost two babies because of my rh factor, Your body can attack future pregnancies because your negative blood views positive blood as intrusive and harmful to you. I don't mean to scare you, because the instances of that are rare, indeed. You have lots of time to make up your mind, do your research, ask your doctor or midwife lots of questions, and then choose. Also, I don't mean to get preachy, but your really should switch to a midwife if you want a natural birth.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• DO NOT REFUSE THE SHOTS!!! They are your only chance to having normal pregnancy afterwards other wise you will become sensitized. Trust me I am a sensitized RH- women both of my pregnancy where extremely affected by the disease and I wish that I could have had the shots but they would not help me because I was sensitized to begin with (blood crossed over extremely early in my first pregnancy to cause me to sensitized). I know all the downsides to this disease my second son (bless his heart) passed away at 23 weeks because of the rh factor.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2009