lazy eye?

I am babysitting a 2 1/2 y/o boy. I noticed that when he was looking at the tv, one eye was on the tv and one eye was on me. Then I noticed that when he would look straight at me (close range) his left eye would fall to the left while the right eye would stay focused on me...Is this just a lazy eye or could there be something else wrong?

2wndrfl_btrflys

Asked by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• An eye doctor is the only one who can say it's Lazy Eye (amblyopia). Lazy eye means there is a vision problem, not just that the eye is turning in.

It does sound like he definitely has a form of strabismus though. (crossing in or wandering out)

I have one son with amblyopia and one with strabismus (esotropia). There is a huge difference, and both need to be treated early!!

Oh, and strabismus can lead to amblyopia if not caught and treated early enough.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• from what i have seen, it sounds like lazy eye. have you asked his mom about it?
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 1:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I just noticed it today. I am going to mention it today. She hasn't said anything to me.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 1:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2009