How does it feel and look like when your water breaks?

I am just being curious and I still have some time until I get there but I was wondering what to expect when your water leaks or breaks? does it smell at all?

AlexesmommySam

Asked by AlexesmommySam at 1:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Mine broke at 3 a.m... it was just a small amount..and I was so tired.. I actually fell back asleep until 5:30. When I stood up then, it was quite a warm flow. I remember standing in the kitchen making a pot of coffee and eating a piece of dry toast because I knew it was the last chance I'd get to have anything for a long time.. and it was pouring down my leg... I didn't care.. I had to have coffee. It was clear.. if it had had a color(esp. brownish or greenish..) I would have been off to hospital in a flash.
    Mommy2aQT

Answer by Mommy2aQT at 9:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Both times mine broke while I was in labor already in the hospital. I didn't smell anything but that's not to say it doesn't have a smell. After all, amniotic fluid is really urine from the baby plus there is other fluids that come out too so I'm sure there is a smell. For me, when it broke it felt like a popping inside my body. It is really an all of a sudden type thing that you aren't expecting but it doesn't hurt. Then it just gushes out like you're peeing a waterfall lol.
    Anonymous

• It should be odorless, if not have a hint of a sweet smell to it. It is the babies pee, but all the bad parts of it are filtered out through you, so it isnt toxic in any way and doesnt have the pee smell at all. I felt the popping too, and then just like a constant drizzle. If I used my stomach muscles at all (to sit up, cough, during a contraction, etc) it would come as a gush again.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I don't remember there being an odor or not, but I do remember if felt like I peed my pants unexpectedly. It's literaly a large flow of fluid that just bursts out of you.
    danyle02

Answer by danyle02 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I was laying down in bed, and felt a 'pop' like if you were to pop a water balloon. my water trickled since my sons head was already down, and blocking my cervix a lot. when my friends water broke, she didn't feel anything, just thought she was peeing herself.

Anonymous

• When my water broke with my first one, I was lying in bed, TRYING to get comfortable, which as we all know is virtually impossible 3 days after your due date. I had just turned over, after it took me about 15 minutes to do so, and I felt a little "pop" and it gushed out all over the bed. It wasn't a trickle, it was a flood!! It kept leaking until I got to the hospital and was lying down in the bed. It didn't have a smell to it, and there was a very faint, tiny streak of blood, it was barely noticeable. Your fluid should be clear.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• thank you guys so much! I am just worried because it is my first.
    AlexesmommySam

Answer by AlexesmommySam at 2:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2009