Honest JW Question

Okay, so the other day we were talking about the 144,ooo that Jehovah's witnesses believe are the only ones that can go to heaven.

Someone said the rest of the people will live on the "New Earth" and the bad people will be just dead for eternity.

So my question for those who know alot about Jehovah's witnessess is, those that are not good enough for heaven, but not bad enough for the grave--what are the religious requirements to make it to the "New Earth"? Is it being a "good person"? or a general belief in God or Jesus Christ? or do you need to be a member of the Watchtower Organization and fulfull some duties?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The new earth is not for those "not GOOD enough" to go to heaven, it's for the majority of Jehovah's followers. You have no more control over being part of the 144,000 than you have over being born male or female. And living to survive Armeggdeon or being resurected to the new earth paradise entails entails much more than being a good person and a belief in God. You must adhere to the tenets of faith as outlined by the Watchtower Society and be in active service to Jehovah. Growing up I heard many times, "If Armeggedeon happened today, have you logged enough hours of service?" And it means literally logging your hours of service on a sheet and turning them in at the kingdom hall. You must be actively participating in services, theocratic ministry school and book studies.

I'm not a JW anymore, but was many years of my life. What I wrote are not my personal beliefs.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• So according to the Watchtower, normal Christians that are not part of the JW organization are going to be dead for eternity, even if they believe they are born agian?

So that is why they come to my house, to log hours? Not to save me!!!

I am offended. I feel used. Step on the little guy to get ahead.
    Anonymous

• MommyAddie, wow I've never hear that about logging hours!! LOL ever, whoever believed that was missing the point of service to Jehovah. I'm so sorry that they stumbled you...... really.
    but I do like how you explained about those who are part of the 144,000 and those who have an earthy hope.Thank you.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• So Lisarose? Are you guaranteed to come back and live on the New Earth? Do you expect to be one of the 144,000?

Do you have any assurance of where you are going?

Or could you also face the possibility of eternal death?

I am so curious.
    Anonymous

• So you need to earn you "salvation" through good works? Doesn't that contradict the Bible? In doing that haven't you actually fallen from grace?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Exactly, Cinnamon!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Anon, it not how much we do because the Bible says that if we do all this but it is not done out of love that it is of no account, See the good news is the touchstone by which mankind is judged: Acceptance of and obedience to the good news result in salvation; rejection and disobedience bring destruction. (1Pe 4:5, 6, 17; 2Th 1:6-8) Particularly with this fact in view, the individual’s motive in preaching the good news must be pure and he must preach it from the heart, out of love for those hearing. The apostles were so appreciative of the life-giving importance of the good news and were so fired with God’s spirit and with love that they imparted not only the good news but also their “own souls” to those who listened to their preaching. (1Th 2:8)
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• You must adhere to the tenets of faith as outlined by the Watchtower Society and be in active service to Jehovah. Growing up I heard many times, "If Armeggedeon happened today, have you logged enough hours of service?" And it means literally logging your hours of service on a sheet and turning them in at the kingdom hall. You must be actively participating in services, theocratic ministry school and book studies.

This what I remember most about the hours spent in "field service" in the hot southern Alabama sun having doors slammed in my face. It was truly freeing to read in the KJV Ephesians 2:8-9:

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast."
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• its a cult.
    Anonymous

• Anon, Mine is an earthly hope and it's not through works but obedience to God out of love that we are given this gift, for one Paul was speaking of works of the Mosaic law not saving one and James was speaking of Faith without works being deed as in works of obedience, if we love God would we not want to obey him? Jesus said he came to do his Fathers will and that was to tell people about the Good News, he also said that his followers would do this same work, Oh and our Salvation is not a "Once Saved Always Saved" possession....
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2009