my 6 week old refuses to sleep in a crib

i conviently placed the crib right next to the bed incase she woke up at night i can just stand up and pick her right up out of the crib but she refuses to sleep in it.. at night she will only sleep in the bed with me and my husband and when i lay herdown she wakes right bak up. what am i gona do? isn't itillegal to sleep in the bed with a baby???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not illegal, but a hard habit to break!

They change quickly when they are so young. Try it for 2 nights in a row, if it does not work, wait a week or so and try again. I found that around 8-10 weeks they tend to sleep better than even 6 weeks. Set a goal of by 4 months my baby will sleep in the crib-every night and work towards that. Be realistic with yourself, your schedule and your parenting style. Do not worry what others do, you will find your way if you keep your own lifestyle in mind and not some book or what others do!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It's not illegal to co-sleep. Many people do it and it works out great for them. You just have to be careful- no heavy drinking or major medications that could cause you to not notice if you roll over and onto your baby or knock him out of bed or whatever. Some people swear by co-sleeping, that's it's the best thing they ever did. I personally could not do it, and my daughter didn't seem to want to either (if mommy and daddy were around, it was time to play, not time to sleep).

However, if you and your husband are comfortable with it, go ahead and co-sleep. It just may be what your child needs. She's only 6 weeks so you might want to give it some time.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• yeh cosleeping isn't bad. when i had to watch my little brother at night when my parents were working i used to cosleep with him, and i coslept with my oldest and now with my youngest. just make sure they get intergrated with their own bed or crib so they don't get too used to sleeping with mommy and daddy. because my parents and myself (iguess) coslept with my little brother for so long he's still sleeping with my parents and he is 4 years old now!
    Anonymous

• the quicker you break the habit the better. Start one nap at a time. when she gets used to one nap add another and another until it's time to battle the night sleeping.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I co-slept with my lil one till just recently. She's 23 months now. She still climbs into bed with me. I don't mind. :) The baby just wants to be close to you mama. Don't deprive it of that.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• If you aren't wanting to co-sleep (not illegal, but hard habit to break as PP said) try putting a shirt or jammies that you've slept a couple of days under her sheet, so that she can still "smell" you. Another thing is that you might try swaddling her, so that she can feel that restraint like being in your tummy. You also can roll up one of her blankets and put it in an oval shape under her sheets so that she can feel cocooned. She may fear that wide open space of the crib. Also, make sure she is dressed warm enough since she doesn't sleep under blankets unless she's in bed with you. Is the ceiling fan on high? It may be hitting her in the crib more than your bed. Just some ideas.

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009