If you had two children on the autism spectrum and you always wanted 4 children would you TTC #3?

If you had 2 children on the spectrum already and you and your husband had always thought you would have 4 children total, considering the risk of having another child on the spectrum would you go for #3?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Health

• How high is the risk ? How much attention do your children require?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Yes but only if you think you can handle 3 on the spectrum incase that child too ends up with autism.
    Anonymous

• i belive the risk is 25% but less if its a girl
    my boys are young so they require constant watch but they are toddlers so that may change, they have some comunication skills and are considered high functioning
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon31- make sure you can handle 3 on the spectrum and if so, then go ahead. Decide on #4 after #3! My youngest was meant to be an only or a youngest- he was the type of baby that made me realize-oh, I am done. I mean that with all the love in my heart too! I adore him, but he is such high energy and high demand that he fills me up! I think most people will say they knew exactly when they were done.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• If you think you can handle and afford it, there really is no stopping you. However, you can always consider adoption. If you go through the foster system, you can adopt for little to nothing as long as you don't mind that you're not going to be getting an infant, but a child instead.
    Anonymous

• I would consider it if my husband wanted to as well. I really love kids with special needs to that would be no problem if my 4th child had austism as well, but there are no guarantees either way.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• girls may be a lower risk but they can and do have autism....my 10 year old daughter has aspergers....
    if you dont like the odds dont have anymore children, no guarantees folks.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I would if I thought i could handle 3. I know I couldn't. I couldn't handle more than my two average children. lol! If the first had been on the spectrum I know we would have chosen not to have any more. It's a very personal decision that only you and your husband can make. You should both be on the same page though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My husband and I go back and forth on this as well...we have 2 beautiful children...1 on the spectrum and 1 was 3 months early. Currently...as much as I love my children...it would just be more than I could handle. Here's what I do...when I'm out grocery shopping, eating out, etc...I think to myself could I do this with an infant around? Right now my answer is no...it wouldn't be fair to the baby, my current kids or my sanity...lol. But that a question you need to ask of yourself.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 4:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009