Religious history..

Do you know your religions history?

What are three good things your religion has done in history..?

What are three bad things your religion has done in history..?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 1:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good:
    "discover" America without finding it necessary to slaughter whoever they found there
    establish the trade and interconnection of Europe from Iceland to Turkey
    invent Santa Claus

Bad:
    Gave other people too much credit to behave honorably on their own, resulting in the deaths of thousands
    Became complacent after the initial defeat of the Romans and didn't finish the job
    Currently includes several fringe groups that twist the Eddas to support racism
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• note: this post is meant to inspire people to look deeper into their faiths and understand how they originally started.. it is NOT meant to try to change your mind on your religion.. but to show that every religion has good and bad points.. so that you can further understand why one person may see one way over the other.. to help look at religions in a more tolerable light..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Love the question and will come back later to read the responses... sadly I am not educated enough on this topic to add to it right now, but am excited to see what others say!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Oh, and can people reference what religion they are so I can follow the discussion. I read NP's post and liked it, but can not figure out which religion- I am guessing Catholic???
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I know the history of many religions. Mine is a pretty new religion, but a very old spiritual system. I know the brief history of Neopaganism very well & know much about the ancient systems upon which it is based. As for my religion...

Neopaganism has opened new opportunities to people who had no idea there were real choices, not just different flavors. It has also encouraged a move towards more environmental conciousness in some. It has given women an opportunity to experience the female divine. It has led many to question the value of Monotheism & has given some young people a spiritual path of rebellion.

I make no judgement to the absolute "good" or "bad" of those things, though I think they are useful.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I am guessing Catholic???

LOL, no. Heathen, not Christian.  Though I started out Catholic a VERY long time ago.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• How interesting.. I though with the discover America thing it was Catholic (or Protestant???) Never heard of Heathen, but will look at your link. LOL-I thought Heathen was another word for savages, since my Dad use to jokingly say " You heathens, you savages quit tearing apart the house!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think that's why she put quotations around "america" because she was referring to the native americans who were first here to establish religion..

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I am looking into my personal church's roots and then th ereligion as a whole. I love that you asked this it makes people think fror themselves instead of just doing what they are told cause th pastor or teacher said so. So maybe more people will be saved in heaven :) All because they looked for the truth :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• as for my religion:

I'm atheist...

historically we've been around for centuries.. the concept really took hold and branched into Buddhism.. and is now viewed more as a scientific approach to life as we know of it.

3 positives can also be 3 negatives in my beliefs:

1:we don't have any religious scrip to follow, no laws pursay. So there is nothing that speaks ill of others, no condemning etc.. that also means there is no religious morals.. on the extemists side.. it could lead to anarchy. (although a majority of us have personal morals)
    2: we are free from religion.. we look into a more scientific approach and tend to find more value in reality.. the good points.. is that our religion is ever changing, as our discoveries are ever growing.. bad points.. it's a never ending cycle..
    3: we don't believe in an after life.. which can be sad for some.. no hope after this life.. but it leads you to be sure to enjoy this one:).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009