Does breast feeding have to be uncomfortable?

What products are moms using to ease the discomfort of breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• time and lanolin. with my son he was just the best breastfed baby in the world, it was never uncomfortable with him at all. and when i had my daughter i thought it would be the same way (because the nurse i had when i had my son said i had perfect "breastfeeding nipples" ????) but when she latched on that first time i was in agony. it got to the point where my nipples were cracked and bleeding a little. but have patience my friend, it will pass and it will be the best gesture of love you can show your baby.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 1:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• For me, I was only a little sore at first. It passed quickly. Breastfeeding itself is not uncomfortable, it's just getting past the "learning curve". I was not sore at all with the second child.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It shouldn't hurt... I would check your babies latch and maybe try some different holds. My son caused tow curiling pain with his latch the first 6 weeks until I was able to fix his latch... after that almost no pain! When his teeth came in it hurt like crazy until he got use to them but now with his 6 teeth it's not a problem at all.
    Sometimes though, when the pain was really bad I would pump because for me it felt better and it allowed my nipples to heal
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Have you tried different position. Sometimes different postions are easier for baby to latch on causing you less dicomfort. If it's cracked nipples you can try lanolin like pp said or you can rub some breastmilk on the nipple after each feeding. I used a boppy for awhile and it works great if you are sitting in a chair without arms. Dh bought me a glider after our second was born and never used the boppy. Good luck and just try and be patient.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I agree with changing positions and that it should not actually hurt. If it is more than just sore then his latch may be a little off. using the lanolin after every feeding help me. If engorgement is the problem that eases with time but cool compresses can help with that. The first few weeks of BF can be uncomfortable. Talk to your Ped a lot of them have lactation nurses on staff to help you determine if the latch is correct and give you more suggestions to help ease the discomfort.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• We could probably help more if we knew what sort of pain or discomfort you were having and when...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• When the baby is latching on properly it does not hurt. It's when the baby is latched on right when you get sore and cracked nipples. Like a PP said, it can be uncomfortable the first few weeks as you and baby get accustomed to nursing. If you need help getting baby latch on properly then seek help from a lactation consultant. The entire nipple and areola are supposed to be in baby's mouth. Good luck. I hope things get better for you. Not getting baby to latch on properly and having sore/cracked nipples is often the major reason why mom's stop breastfeeding. They don't seek help.
    Anonymous

• I had pain that had nothing to do with the nipples. It was a severe pain that started just behind the nipple and shot all the way back to my back ribs. I could feel each suck he made in my back ribs. Every single one...that sharp stabbing, pulling pain. Both sides.

I finally solved the problem of the pain and of not wanting to be in the same room with my own first born son.

Formula.
    Anonymous

• It's pretty uncomfortable in the beginning. My lactation consultant said most baby's mouths are small at birth and so your nipple is rubbing their hard pallet. Sometime between 4-6 weeks their mouths grow large enough for a comfortable latch. After you get through those first few weeks, it never gets like that again unless you get thrush or mastitis.

Lanolin (for me the Medela brand worked best) helps. You can also take Tylenol.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Breast feeding comfort issues will subside within the first month, when you and your baby both learn how to nurse a little better. In the meantime, lanolin along with good nursing pads( i personally like lansinoh brand disposables, and the reusable ones from motherhood) and a supportive bra will work wonders. If its discomfort from engorgement cool and /or warm pads work well, as does a warm shower to release some extra milk. keep tell yourself that it will get a lot easier and before you know it it will!! good luck mama!!

Anonymous