• In the Spotlight:

living & working in a backwards town

I'm live in and work for a small city of 75,000 people. At first I fell in love with the history and architecture of the town. But then the reality hit me of the backwards mindset of the "good ol' boy" syndrome of the city commission not letting any real hardcore franchise competition for the fear of raising the base wage and making it hard for smaller businesses to survive. The truth is, there are not enough jobs for people in this town to survive. As a result, welfare system in this town is over burdened too.

Even though I'm employed (by the city), I'm scared to death. I feel that my life is falling apart because there is not enough fire in this town to keep my irons hot, let along "keeping more than one iron in the fire". (I'm starting a business for myself as a rescue attempt for myself)

If you find yourself trapped in a backwards town (that doesn't listen), what would you do?

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 2:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I love little "backwards" towns. As far as the situation you are tlaking about, my town has done the opposite, and guess what, its still sinking. We were a mili town for decades. The mill closed, they brought in walmart, and several other big franchises, now the mom and pop places that once thrived here are gone, no one can find a job, Had our city commission thought about what would be good for this town instead of hiding out in the pocket of the richest guy in town, we'd have a snap on tools plant, people would have jobs and it would be thriving. Now we have a multi million dollar research campus that is just sitting there, doing nothing but taking up space, offering no jobs to the town's people and continually asking for money from the city b/c they arent bringing in enough to run the place.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Try to find a way to move. Key word being "try." We've crunched the numbers eight ways to Sunday and it seems that for better or worse we're going to be stuck here a while, but our town is headed the same way. They're not anti-franchise - we have THREE Wal-Mart's now - but it still doesn't matter. There aren't enough jobs for people anymore at a ratio of one in 5 out of work now. It's not even a question of driving farther for work - the situation is the same 2 hrs in every direction, and a good chunk of that is Amish country anyway.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• i love little towns like that .
    Anonymous

• Wow, 75k and you think that's a backward small town? Come visit my county seat, population 45k. Come visit the town that's actually where I shop -- Population seven HUNDRED.

To be honest, I like the tiny town and the village. I like the slower, older, mindset. I like the intolerance for crime and stupidity, and I like the lack of tolerance for laziness. But then, this is a farming community, and while yes, there are people on public assistance -- it IS assistance, it's not their way of life, and fortunately, there are jobs throughout the spectrum available here or within driving distance - Anything from farming to professional "white collar" stuff.

True, we're isolated and true, many homes lack DSL (mine! but not for lack of bitching at CenturyTel) and many homes lack electricity or plumbing (Amish community). But since housing is below $60k for NICE homes, and gas is below $1.50? I'll stay!
    Morniel

Answer by Morniel at 2:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I used to live in a town in Ohio which only had 5,000 people. I havent been there in 10 years, and cant imagine how the economy is affecting them up there. I can only imagine a lot of them are taking a HUGE blow. I currently live in Raleigh, NC. I am only 15-20 minutes from Durham (the City of Medicine), which was rated #3 best financial places to live. Here it's not too bad, so im grateful that its not as bad as it is other place..

I wish you the best with your business. <3
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• places* sorry.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• ha ha funny what you people think is small
    try where we live
    byron oklahoma there is about 50 people here. lol

as for your worries why not just work in the next major city that is what we do ...
    Anonymous

• My town's population is about 2500, and not backwards at all. It's pretty progressive in most ways. Our last two or three mayors have all been openly gay, people pushed for a recycling center but protested against the gravel pit. It's an interesting little place. The economy isn't big, but we also have virtually no crime.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• The town I live nearest to is listed as 32,000 pop. I can't imagine considering a town of 75,000 as small!

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Exactly Pagan mama lol.My town has a population of 1,613......the whole county is 20,404.

I LOVEEEEE my bacwood small town and I was born and raised in MD just outside D.C.
    My hubby has to drive 1 hr and half each way for his job but we wouldn't have it any other way it is a great life for our kids esp..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009