Jack Russel Terriers

hey everyone- today my fiance surprised me and the kids with a JRT puppy- hes 3 months old and too adorable- the thing is- i dont know too much about him or the breed lol- so my question is- whens the best time to start training him and how should i? also if u have any other info (ive already checked out some sites but i would really like to know info from people who have or had the dog for some time and can tell me things that the websites dont put) also- what do u feed them? the person we bought it from said not to give him any wet food because it can give him the runs but i have always heard feeding cats and dogs only dry food can be bad for their kidneys so i was thinking maybe a dry/wet mix? as u can see im totally lost so please any help would be great! thanks

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Pets

• I had a JRT growing up. We fed him mostly dry food, with a little wet mixed in. Just make sure it's puppy chow and now grown dog stuff. Other than that, JRTs have a tendency to be hyper and to bark a lot, so watch for that. You can start training him right away, there's no reason to wait. I know there's a bunch of videos and books about that.........maybe go to a pet store and look at what they have. Ours we took to obedience class.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I would start crate training the puppy now......this breed is not known to be good around little children, so I would watch them around the puppy....you can always get a book on the breed from a reliable pet supply store....you might also ask the employees about the best foods for the puppy, they should know what they are selling.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• You can start training now, as for the breed, they are VERY hyper. They need plenty of room to run around and are prone to separation anxiety. You'll have fun training because they have a very quirky personality. Enjoy your new pup.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• They are very energetic...need LOTS of exercise.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• ooh yes JRTs are VERY smart...and not always in the good way, they are very good at getting into trouble. Start training now and make sure that dog knows who the boss is. And definetely make sure its getting enough exercise every single day or be prepared to lose some shoes lol. Maybe look into doggie daycare if its in your budget. A tired dog is a happy dog! Good luck!
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2009