how can u control a 2yr old that doesnt listen all the time?

my daughter does not like to listen to what i say but when she wants something and i don't move fast enough she flips out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it is a learning process for the both of you. let her throw fits, let her act up, dont ever give in. when u give in, she knows that she can get away with it. i have let my girls sit in a corner in time out at stores. dont let her embarrass you, you embarrass her. it will take a little time and patience but she will soon understand that she cant have the world at the snap of her fingers. i have 3 girls and it worked on all of them best believe i can sit in an office with the 3 of them and we can be there for 3 hours and they will be respectful the whole time. lol, my boys are a different story. lol
    FoxySmile

Answer by FoxySmile at 2:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I have 2 boys! lol
    But i agree with FoxySmile.
    Right now is a good time to start introducing timeout. Leave her there for 2 minutes. Dont give in. Make sure she knows that the behavior she is displaying is unacceptable. If she throws a continues fit, walk away. Make sure she's safe and still supervised of course. But you have to get the message through to her that throwing fits will not work. If you give in once you have to start all over again. so dont EVER give in. also, remember to talk to her. She can understand a lot more then you might think. Explain things as best you can at her level. Make sure she is eating good foods and getting enough rest. And you might also try ASL. It can reduce tantrums. GL
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Timeout is a good punishment for this age one min per yr. I have a 17 mo & have been stressing feelings to her in hopes she will pick up how to tell when she is frustrated/sad/happy/etc. so she can tell me what is going on w/ her (read in an article). I also am getting in the habit of always explaining things to her. I say things like "I understand ur frustrated but mommy has to get this ready first" etc. By expressing that u understand how she feels may reduce on the blow up (also read this). I only try to calm down my DD for a few mins when she has a fit & then tell her that when she calms down we will talk & if she gets too out of control gate her into her playroom (which is punishment for her). She eventually calms down & expresses to me what she wants/needs. These things have worked for us but may not for u. U need to try some things & figure out what will work best for u. Every family does things diff.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think its easy to mistake their lack of listening as them being misbehaved. Mostly, they're going through a lot of phases and discovery at this age. They aren't being defiant or demanding to be difficult, but because they are trying to figure out boundaries and assert their independence. Its not like when an adult behaves the same way. I have a 14 month old that's all about trying to get away with everything and push limits, but even if she does the same behavior 100 times, I just stay calm and consistant and trust that she'll eventually understand that we do not touch the tv buttons or run past the sidewalk etc etc as she gets older. Also, I assume they're demanding because they don't understand time. If they have a need, they want it immediately filled. I try to use the word "patient" when she has to wait so she knows she'll have to wait to get what she wants, but I try to be quick and thank her for being patient.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2009