Why do my kids want to sleep on the floor??

My son is 3 1/2 and my daughter is 20 months. Both of them have comfortable, safe toddler beds with cute bedsets and all that. But my son likes to sleep on his little trampoline or the floor, and my daughter has started sleeping on her floor too. What's the deal with that?? I've never put them to sleep on the floor, so I don't know where they got this idea from. I mean, we have tile floors... it's got to be uncomfortable!

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 2:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Maybe they get too hot and the tile feels nice and cool. Maybe they've gotten out of bed and are playing in their room and they fall asleep on the floor. Maybe they just like sleeping on something hard instead of soft. There are a lot of different things that could be the reason.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 2:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My older dd used to fall asleep in her closet for some reason. IDK it's just a phase some kids go through. It was really scary the first time I walked in her room to check on her, and she wasn't in her bed, or playing.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It could be from a primal thing. People slept on the floor or ground if youwill before beds. Then again it could be because it is something different. Not to worry mom they will go back to their beds soon.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I don't know. My dd has recently started sleeping on her floor. She' 7. Maybe it's just something new for them to do or maybe it is more comfortable for them. Maybe their beds are to soft? That's the problem with my dd so we are working on getting her a firmer bed.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• i used to sleep on the floor or kick everything off my bed and sleep like that when i was a kid. its because it is nice and cool on the floor. and in the bed no pillows or blankets was almost the same but i could still sweat. its the most comfortable. but to a kid it is and it is nice and cool.
    FoxySmile

Answer by FoxySmile at 3:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think it's just a phase. I don't remember ever doing it myself, but I know both of my boys did it. But now they sleep in their beds again. I know your daughter couldn't tell you probably, but ask your son why he sleeps there; he might be able to tell you and it could help you to stop it if it's something like a too soft bed or he gets hot or whatever.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My kids did the same thing when they were younger. I asked their Dr. about it and she said it was actually better for their backs and they probably found it to be cooler and more comfortable than the bed.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• No clue, but my 3 year old has been sleeping on the floor for the past year and a half.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Make a FORT!
    My son also liked to sleep on the floor sometimes. To encourage him to get into bed I made the coolest fort over his bed......it worked. Now the fort works for a few reasons, is that it blocks light during daytime naps and also blocks the view of toys and other distractions during sleep time. Restricting my sons view from all of the neat things in his room really did help him calm down and focus. The 'blanket fort' is also a magic monster protecter!!! (blocked the view of the closet)
    IMO, it seemed as though it was a way of testing his boundries within his own space.

My Fort way easy because he shares a bunk bed, so drapping blankets was a no brainer. I bet tacks and other sorts of adhesive will work for lighter blankets. Good Luck...oh and if he stays in his 'bed fort' then maybe one nap a week he can have a 'floor fort'.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 5:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2009