Another honest Jw question.

I want to say first, I am not asking in a way to try to bash your beliefs. I am simply asking because I don't know. What is the reasoning behind not getting blood transfusions? I hear all the time that JW"s don't believe in them but I have never been told nor have I ever asked why. I am just curious. Thank you in advance for your responses.

-Ashley
And, no, I didn't post the other question.

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because the Bible says we are not to ingest blood. JWs view transfusions as the same as eating blood.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Right, Lexy said it very well, just as if a DR told you not to drink alcohol anymore would it be ok it take it in by IV? no... God stated from Noah to the Apostles that Blood was Sacred and to be treated in a way that shows it. Jesus Blood was poured out in our behalf and to keep Blood holy or of high value we must not treat it as something of little value...
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I don't really understand how ingesting is the same as putting it in your veins. While actually drinking blood can be very bad for you and cause many issues, a blood transfusion puts the blood in the place that it's supposed to be: the veins. And I would think that using blood to save a life would be treating it in a very sacred way. Is life not sacred?
    Anonymous

• Well, there you go. I was comming to answer you but it seems it was already done. I will add though that science has created some options for them There is not machine that will allow them to take the blood from your system, clean it and return it to you without stoping the blood from moving. Many JWs see this as an acceptable alternative because the blood does not leave the cycle. It never stops moving... Therefore they aren't taking in blood that shouldn't be there otherwise, they are just elongating the natural flow.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Jehovah’s Witnesses are taught that to please Jehovah, it would be better to allow their young child (who has perhaps been bitten by a rattlesnake) to die in the hospital room, rather than give her a blood transfusion that would save her life.

For years the Watchtower organization taught that immunizations and organ transplants were an abomination to God as well. Even claiming that: “Organ transplants are cannibalism, hence inappropriate for Christians.” [Watchtower, 11/15/1967, p. 702-704]. Many Jehovah’s Witnesses and their children got sick and even died during the time the Watchtower held to these teachings.
    Anonymous

• Ok, anon. Last time I checked, there are anti-venoms that have NOTHING to do with blood that are used to treat MOST snake bites.
    And I nevre actually said I agreed or disagreed with the belief, I was just asking so I would know the reasoning behind the belief. There have been times in other religions that people have died because of the teachings of the leaders. Jw's are not the only ones.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Anon :57, my dear, the definition of ingest is as follows:

verb ~ to take, as food, into the body.

So yes, injecting is ingesting.

Also, the one thing most people don't understand is that in most cases a transfusion in not needed. Also, regardless of what YOU think is or isn't sacred, the bible that the JWs follow says not to ingest blood. IF you believe that the Bible is the inspired word of god as they do then you would have to agree that the word of God (not to injest blood) would override any mortals word as to what is right.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Dang I just wuv you Sabrina!!!!
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Anon :06,

First off, snake bites do not require transfusion. And in fact a transfusion would not work because the venom affects the organs not the blood.

Secondly, as I said in my previous post if you believe the bible is the word of god as the JWs do, how could you justify going against his command just to save your child. Wouldn't you have to assume that he would care for her or take her...

Now, JWs ARE allowed to take organ donations IF the blood has been drained propperly to the best of their knowledge. But it is a personal disition. In the early days of many other religions they led their people to ruin in many ways. The Catholic Church was known for torturing and killing those that couldn't pay their "taxes." While you are correct in feeling that the early teaching is wrong, but it has been changed as the understanding of the scriptures has.

Also, they never oposed vaccines or medicines.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I personally do not agree with the teachings of the JW church, at all. So I personally feel that it is a shame that anyone might have died.

However, as a parent I feel that I have the right to make health descisions for my children that reflect my religious or personal beliefs. (So I can sympathise with them, even though I don't agree) Especially with all the mandatory vaccination and injured children, I cling to my right in CA to waive my dd's vaccinations. I am also appalled that the courts forced that kid to get chemo against his/ and his parents wishes.

I just believe that we should have the freedom to decide. I don't want anyone forcing anything on anyone that they feel is harmfull physically or spiritually.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2009